free website stats program checking the fluids | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

checking the fluids

Bill,
On my 2006 sport that sits long periods of time between rides, Always (like yours) shows Low in the filler neck.. It does by-pass oil into the sump area of the motor.
I'll start the sporty and let it run Easy, Until it pumps the sump oil back into the high tank(like yours) I never razz the motor or Blippp the throttle at this time.. After a couple minutes of Idle, I will look and if I see oil (always have) I go for my ride.. Knowing it is full then and I never have added when Cold...
Just my way

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks all for your replys. I can always count on getting good advise here on this forum. I STILL believe HD could/should figure out a way to have all levels checked while bike is on the jiffystand or add a centerstand to all bikes. (one that would be easy to lift the bike up on too)

Bill

A buddy of mine suggested that you check it once on the level being careful not to have scooter fall over. Then, check it cold on the jiffy stand. Take a scribe or fine file and scratch a line on the dip stick at that level. Voila! there's your level. DOH! Why didn't I think of that?
WAP.gif

A buddy of mine suggested that you check it once on the level being careful not to have scooter fall over. Then, check it cold on the jiffy stand. Take a scribe or fine file and scratch a line on the dip stick at that level. Voila! there's your level. DOH! Why didn't I think of that?
WAP.gif
Larry, I think that's what most of us actually do. I know I do. It's hard for me to hold the bike upright with one hand/arm, and pull the dipstick and wipe it off and replace using my other hand/arm. I have even thought about tying the bike off to a column or wall so it cant fall over on me - but NAHHHHH all that is just too much trouble - so I just pull the dipstick and look over in the tank (softail) with a flashlight and use BOTH hands to pull dipstick wipe off and replace and pull and look at the level. Common sense approach. NOTE: my owners manual says COLD check - IF the oil does not register on the dipstick - proceed to step 3 - and guess what - there is NO step 3 in the book! So I think all this taken into consideration is why some of us ask the questions we do here on this forum - mostly for clarification of what we are unsure of.

Bill

Back