free website stats program checking the fluids | Harley Davidson Forums

checking the fluids

BOWHIKER

Can anyone tell me what year in the soft tail models they went from checking the oils standing straight up to checking in on the jiffy stand ?

I have an '01 Heritage. The owners manual - says to check oil AND transmission with MC upright and level. BUT, the oil dipstick that came in the Heritage says right on the cap "check level with MC on Jiffystand". I tell you it's a mess the way HD has us checking these levels - OF COURSE all levels should be checked with MC on the Jiffystand - by yourself - it is not easy to get down and look at the dipstick with one hand while trying to hold the big heavy bike "upright and level" OFF the jiffystand -- yes, I think all levels should be checked cold and while bike is sitting on the kickstand - just makes sense to me - IMO. I'd like to hear this answer too and maybe some comments on just how others check their liquid levels.

BTW - I looked at my tranny dipstick - sure enough, it shows wear from the clutch cable rubbing and it's an '01 TC88 engine. Should I go ahead and cut it off too and use something else to check levels??

Bill

I have an '01 Heritage. The owners manual - says to check oil AND transmission with MC upright and level. BUT, the oil dipstick that came in the Heritage says right on the cap "check level with MC on Jiffystand". I tell you it's a mess the way HD has us checking these levels - OF COURSE all levels should be checked with MC on the Jiffystand - by yourself - it is not easy to get down and look at the dipstick with one hand while trying to hold the big heavy bike "upright and level" OFF the jiffystand -- yes, I think all levels should be checked cold and while bike is sitting on the kickstand - just makes sense to me - IMO. I'd like to hear this answer too and maybe some comments on just how others check their liquid levels.

BTW - I looked at my tranny dipstick - sure enough, it shows wear from the clutch cable rubbing and it's an '01 TC88 engine. Should I go ahead and cut it off too and use something else to check levels??

Bill

It is kind of a nightmare - on/off jiffy, upright/leaning. But check your Owner's Manual and see what IT says. The dipstick may not be the original.

On the tranny dipstick, it should not be making hard (like binding) contact with the clutch cable. Look at it carefully and make sure it is not bent from having been inserted incorrectly and then forced. This is a bad fit, but like I said, it should NOT be in a bind when you screw it all the way in. The level is probably checked up-right with the threads "just caught".

All oil level should be checked initially with the engine and tranny at normal operating temperature, not cold. Once the HOT level is right, you can check it again cold to see where that is on the dipsticks. Then that can be a quick check daily before you take off.

TQ

I have an '01 Heritage. and maybe some comments on just how others check their liquid levels.

Bill

I always have gone by the amount the Book calls out for... On my first oil change, I do use the Proper amount of oil and Check Where it is showing on the Dip Sticks,,,, cold and warmed values remembered.... Any discrepancy by a little, are not important to me (just not over filled). I see where it shows on the stick and for future reference I use That to be the Full Level and I do all That on the Side Stand, level garage floor.

I don't bother with an 1/8" of an inch either way... Too Fussy!!! If it is that close there is Plenty enough oil to do the job!!
I would rather be a touch Low than over full!

Bill, I would cut the stick off high on your original dip-stick and buy one that is used Just for checking. Especially when you said yours shows a mark (rub)..

signed....BUBBIE

It is kind of a nightmare - on/off jiffy, upright/leaning. But check your Owner's Manual and see what IT says. The dipstick may not be the original.

On the tranny dipstick, it should not be making hard (like binding) contact with the clutch cable. Look at it carefully and make sure it is not bent from having been inserted incorrectly and then forced. This is a bad fit, but like I said, it should NOT be in a bind when you screw it all the way in. The level is probably checked up-right with the threads "just caught".

All oil level should be checked initially with the engine and tranny at normal operating temperature, not cold. Once the HOT level is right, you can check it again cold to see where that is on the dipsticks. Then that can be a quick check daily before you take off.

TQ

I always have gone by the amount the Book calls out for... On my first oil change, I do use the Proper amount of oil and Check Where it is showing on the Dip Sticks,,,, cold and warmed values remembered.... Any discrepancy by a little, are not important to me (just not over filled). I see where it shows on the stick and for future reference I use That to be the Full Level and I do all That on the Side Stand, level garage floor.

I don't bother with an 1/8" of an inch either way... Too Fussy!!! If it is that close there is Plenty enough oil to do the job!!
I would rather be a touch Low than over full!

Bill, I would cut the stick off high on your original dip-stick and buy one that is used Just for checking. Especially when you said yours shows a mark (rub)..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for your replys. I am going to cut the tran dipstick off and use it as a plug only. You know what else (just thought about) I might cut me a short straight piece - about 1" long, of 3/8" allen to use as a handle when replacing the dipstick/plug - would be easier to turn.

Bill

You know what else (just thought about) I might cut me a short straight piece - about 1" long, of 3/8" allen to use as a handle when replacing the dipstick/plug - would be easier to turn.

I just got a 3/8"-drive 3/8" allen "socket" to use with a ratchet. Makes it a piece of cake.

TQ

My owners manual (2001 Heritage) - says for cold check upright and level - "If the oil level is at or near the filler neck weld, proceed to HOT Check." IF it is not, add oil to bring it up to the filler neck weld. (filler neck weld being at the bottom of the filler neck) EVERY time I check my oil cold, it is never at the filler neck weld - never. I hear folks here saying the oil slowly runs back into the crankcase sometimes. that alone would make you overfill your oil IF you followed HD's directions. I have checked oil levels in cars,trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers all my life just like all of you have, and never ran accross anything so complicated as this oil check as spelled out in the owners manual.

So just how do you check your oil? Your way or by the book??

Bill

Always check the fluids HOT and the way the book suggests as far as position.

Less room for error.

As our illustrious Glide and most others recommend, check hot (engine oil tank because the check valve that keeps it up there when not running may leak down into the sump) and the tranny or pirmary/clutch as recommended, even if you have to do it the messy-er way by taking off that derby cover or "sticky" dipstick/ahex plug and looking in there. This is especially true when doing the initial fluid/change/fill just to be sure. Overfilling can cause problems as wel...so read after the riding means doing a bit of your homework checking things out...jJMO.

Back