free website stats program checking primary oil level | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

checking primary oil level

Yeah, that is very true Hobo55, but then on a Chevy you could pull the whole rear cover off the differential and do the same thing, but why when a little hex nut plug is along side rather than taking off a huge cover, leveling (just in case) and the trouble....yeah that cover looks nice whether on a Chevy or a Harley. Both had plenty of time to research this and perpetuate their myth...the oil leakage from a Harley not withstanding. LOL:newsmile100:

as i have an older sportster the last year before the big derby cover i only have a clutch adjustment cover small hole just enough to adjust the clutch but it does have a fill to spill hole at the rear of the primary
set bike upright fill to spill plug out put oil in till it comes out the hole then its full
used it on the first sevice measured how much went in wrote the amount down somewhere in my heed so i now know how much is needed

Brian

Yeah, that inspection hole for primary chain adjustment is nice to "filler 'er up" and do the deed...! Now that I know that putting in 38 oz (1 Liter) fills it just right; but I DID have to pull the Derby cover and then decide to pull the Primary cover the first time to check things out "just to be sure" (clutch adjustment), tensioner shoe and a certain "pesky" starter change later. It was a newbie thing in August '08...but then I also thought MOCO had a customer service link and my stay here at HDTimeline was only...eh...going to be "BRIEF"...just glad I stayed with it!:newsmile100:

Back