free website stats program checking primary oil level | Harley Davidson Forums

checking primary oil level

The self help area is very easy to navigate. It's broken down into different parts which reflect the area you are looking in. For primary questions for example you would look in the Transmission,Clutch and Primary (Drive Train) section and find the answer to the oil question in there. Likewise there are other areas like "front end" and "electrical" to mention a few that usually will return an answer to the question.

I'll even give you a quick link to the sections if you want to use it...

Self Help Information and Tips - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

No excuses now!:D

You must remove the 5 screws on clutch inspection cover and remove that from the primary chaincase cover. The level should come up to the bottom of the clutch basket with bike level. You'll probably need a flashlight to see down in there. My '09 twin cam takes 38 oz. to fill after draining for fluid change. Sorry Glider I hadn't refreshed after leaving the computer for a spell:)

Thanks Glider, I only entered "checking primary oil" in Search Forum box, I will check Self Help Tips next time... Have a great w/e!

Thanks Glider, I only entered "checking primary oil" in Search Forum box, I will check Self Help Tips next time... Have a great w/e!

Some times less is more when doing a search. Try "primary" or "primary oil" next time, this will bring up all threads with those words in them. From there you can just scan for a thread in the "self help area" using the right column as a guide in the returned threads.

Much easier and more direct that way. :D

You must remove the 5 screws on clutch inspection cover and remove that from the primary chaincase cover. The level should come up to the bottom of the clutch basket with bike level. You'll probably need a flashlight to see down in there. My '09 twin cam takes 38 oz. to fill after draining for fluid change. Sorry Glider I hadn't refreshed after leaving the computer for a spell:)

Thanks billyd1, that's what I was wondering... no dip stick (except me) to check level... I thought the cover might have to come off but I felt oil would leak out and this didn't make sense to me.

Yeah, when I first got the HD I was surprised you had to pull the derby cover to check oil level...even old fords & chevys had a fill plug, level check with your little finger LOL...old habits die hard...but you know the derby cover DOES look good...

Back