free website stats program checking oil "HOT" | Harley Davidson Forums

checking oil "HOT"

00BUCKSHOT

I know we are supposed to check our oil with the engine hot on the jiffy stand....how long should we wait after we shut the bike down before checking?
i just got done changing my oil and the service manual say fill it to half way between add a quart and full hot when the engine is cold
did that rode for about 15min came back checked it and its in the same spot as when it was cold should i top it on off to full hot or am i messing up somewhere?

I always wait a few minutes (5?) after I have been riding. I believe my manual says after changing oil ride the bike 10-15 minutes then let it idle for 2 minutes, shut it down, check the oil level. I don't recall getting much more than a 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch variance on my oil level from cold to hot. Surprised it didn't show some change after riding it for 15 minutes.

threesteps, so your oil went up 3/8 on the stick hot?i didn't lett it idle for 2 min i'll ride it idle it 2 min then check i havn't added any yett but if i do all that tomorrow and its still alittle below "full hot" i think i'll top it off

threesteps, so your oil went up 3/8 on the stick hot?i didn't lett it idle for 2 min i'll ride it idle it 2 min then check i havn't added any yett but if i do all that tomorrow and its still alittle below "full hot" i think i'll top it off

Slow gettting back to your thread. It's just my way of doing it, if the engine is cold or hot, I never add more than 1/2 the distance to the "full" mark. This kinda assumes the oil level is at least 1/2 to 3/4 full to begin with. Then I check it after I've put some miles on the bike. I think you would be fine with the oil "near" the full level when hot. I've been told some bikes tend to spit oil out the carb if you fill them to the top.

Slow gettting back to your thread. It's just my way of doing it, if the engine is cold or hot, I never add more than 1/2 the distance to the "full" mark. This kinda assumes the oil level is at least 1/2 to 3/4 full to begin with. Then I check it after I've put some miles on the bike. I think you would be fine with the oil "near" the full level when hot. I've been told some bikes tend to spit oil out the carb if you fill them to the top.

yea the more i thought about it i just left it in the middle

Would follow Threesteps method. IMO people worry too much about getting that last drop of oil in there, when as long as your between the two marks both hot and cold, your good to go. Unless your bike is burning oil, should not have to be checked that often. I check mine weekly and have yet to add more than 1/2 qt. between changes. IMO.

Would follow Threesteps method. IMO people worry too much about getting that last drop of oil in there, when as long as your between the two marks both hot and cold, your good to go. Unless your bike is burning oil, should not have to be checked that often. I check mine weekly and have yet to add more than 1/2 qt. between changes. IMO.

mileage on your bike?

It's a 2000 Ultra with about 49,000 miles on it. It would be more, but that JOB thing keeps getting in the way of my riding.:)

you dont need to wait after stopping to check the oil,being a dry sump when the engine is off no more oil will come into the tank.

Back