checking for converter

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 09classic, Jul 15, 2011.

1. 09classic

09classic Member

I have not long ago had a stage one put on my 09 ultra. S E pipes and air and remap. I am looking at a TFI and have been told that some of the 09s had a converter and some did not. Is there any way to know short of pulling off the right exhaust and looking to see if it is there.

2. oiler

oiler Active Member

I thought my 09 SG had a converter because it is a Canadian bike but it does not.

Insert a small diameter broom handle through the right muffler into the header and see if goes past the point where the front and rear header join together. I did that with mine but I have Rienhart muffler's. If you can't get it through the S E mufflers then just take off the right muffler and inset the broom handle into the header.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

09classic; unless your bike came from CA - you shouldn't have a catalytic converter. This is why I wanted a '09 vs. '10 bike b/c it was the last year before EPA std implemented CAT in m/c's.

5. 09classic

09classic Member

Thanks for the info I have found that I do not have a converter. As hot as this bike is I would hate see what it would have been like with a converter.

6. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Also A big reason I bought the 09 instead of the 2010 sitting behind it.:D

Full stage one,,,V&H slip-ons and SE air along with the TFO or Gen3 WILL cool the bike a bunch and it will run a lot better (my 09 FLHR does.)..

Just the TFI or Gen3 will Help do the trick and Run a lot better..

signed....BUBBIE

7. 09classic

09classic Member

I am making a trip to Gatlinburg 22-26 this month. When I get back I think I will add the TFI,. Love the bike hate the heat. I believe the TFI will help.

8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Definitely...plus it allows adjustment for other/future upgrades. You'll be pleased...!! Have a safe trip!