free website stats program Checking for codes | Harley Davidson Forums

Checking for codes

Dferr

Could installing a TFI cause problems with getting codes? I recently installed a TFI and everything seems to be ok except, I’m getting poor fuel mileage and I recently noticed the check engine light was coming on a few seconds after startup and then go off after 5 or 6 seconds or so. I decided to check for codes and it displayed two. PO261 and PO263. They indicate injector open low EFI. I cleared the codes and restarted and it now has no codes. I’ll have to ride a little more to see if they come back on. I was just wondering if disconnecting the injectors and reconnecting the TFI could possibly cause this.

Hopefully the key wasn't on when you did the hookup:D

It shouldn't cause a code unless there is a bad connection.

No, the key was not on. But I was getting a little sparking action when connecting the ground wire to the bat. I didn't think that was very good. That means something must be live right? Or is that normal?

But I was getting a little sparking action when connecting the ground wire to the bat. I didn't think that was very good. That means something must be live right? Or is that normal?

The sparking was not caused by the TFI. Several factory circuits have small drains when the key is off. Plus depending on how long the battery cable was off, filter capacitors in items such as the ECM, Speedo & TSSM will recharge when you first re-connect. Seeing small re-connect sparking is not anything to worry about.

Back