free website stats program Check those nuts & bolts! | Harley Davidson Forums

Check those nuts & bolts!

steelpix

Sunday I had a nice 100 mile ride on my Sportster. Got home and put her up. Come Tuesday I took her out for a short ride, but noticed some noise and rattling from the rear pipe/slipon.

Turned around and went home. Saw that the interconnect gasket (brillo looking doughnut) showing and then saw the two nuts on the muffler interconnect brackets had backed off. Causing slop and movement.

Got a couple of gaskets from local HD yesterday for $7.00. Was up and riding within an hour. Made sure everything was torqued correctly and LocTite where needed.

HOGan

Attachments

• Exhaust fix.jpg
    Exhaust fix.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 45
Good Advice and picts.

I also like to Double Nut the headers to the motor. I use a little copper grease (anti-seize) there to ensure they will come off again when needed.

Thanks steelpix...NOW, Enjoy that bike and Ride....:D

Lots of help here IF and WHEN you want to go to 1200 :bigsmiley21:

signed....BUBBIE

A good reminder and especially so for those bringing their bikes out of hibernation check all the fasteners before that first ride and again before the second ride as the heat cool cycle can get things loose with the expansion and contraction of the metals

Brian

81878.jpg
A bit of this will help seal the joints for leak free even tho there is a gasket in there:D

Back