free website stats program Check Those Cam Chain Tensioners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Those Cam Chain Tensioners

Unfortunitly all timing chains stretch, in extreme cases valve timing will be off enough to create piston to vavle contact at higher RPMs, and should be replaced with the shoes, should you decide to run that set-up again.

Just remember these are single row small chains running (even stock) very aggressive cams, reason H-Ds run a roller lifters.

those things are funny some go kaboome @15,000 some people get 50,000 out of them i switched 2 hydraulic @24,000 and mine had very very little wear on them...IMO once u hit 20,000 keep a check on them if there fine no worries but if there showing wear don't push your luck address the issue

i just replaced mine at 34,000 miles. inner one was shot and outer was fine. i will post pictures soon when i find my camera cord.

I'm glad I checked this post because I am relatively new to the Harley community and did not know there was a problem with the chain tensioners. I have around 17,000 on my '02 Superglide and reading this discussion has made me really paranoid that failure may be coming. I will check them as soon as possible. From what I understand there are two tensioners one on the outside and one inside. The outer primary one should be simple to check but how do you check the inside one without tearing everything apart? Is there an easy way to inspect? Are any special tools required?

You have to pull the cam plate to inspect the rear tensioner. No special tools required but the oil pump alignment pins are nice to have. If you don't have them, then you want to make sure the oil pump is centered on the pinion shaft before you tighten down the four bolts that mount the oil pump to the cam plate. You can do this by turning the motor over by hand a couple revolutions, then tighten down the four bolts to the oil pump. Goodluck... T

Actually, you can inspect the condition of the inside tensioner shoe without pulling the plate as indicated in the link that Glider provided above. Requires the use of a cheap dental mirrow and figuring out how to get your eyeball in there to see. Will give you enough of a look to decide if it needs replacement. Hard to actually measure, so if it looks like there is any appreciable amount of wear, it is better safe than sorry!!

TQ

Thanks for the good info and I will definately take a look at that. Now I'm actually thinking an upgrade to hydraulic tensioners would be a good investment. It's not cheap but better than replacing the whole motor if it fails.

When removing the cam plate, do you have to remove the pushrods first, or do anything with them??? I saw TQ's pics which was very helpful, but it didn't say anything about the pushrods. I read somewhere that some people actually cut the stock ones and replace them with adjustable ones. Don't think I want to do that. I think I'm going to replace my cam chain tensioners myself and want to know what I'm getting into here. Think I'll replace the stock cam bearings and maybe the cams too. Any suggestions for a better cam on a 2000 Heritage Softail??? Stock 88 TC w/ carb. 24,000 miles. Mostly highway riding. Don't need anything radical, but a little more power never hurts. And should I go with the newer roller chain or the gear drive??? I've heard good things about both.
Thanks.

Back