free website stats program Check for Loose Screws | Harley Davidson Forums

Check for Loose Screws

DDogg

Just curious. How often do you guys and gals check your bolts and screws to make sure nothing has come loose. I can't see doing this every time you ride. I'd be interested in hearing what pre-checks are made before we ride.

Had a friend I rode with in N. Cal. Had to check his attitude just before a ride "for a loose screw". Great guy. Just a bit moody now and then. Heard he got
it lined out. Something to do with sugar or alcohol. Probably not near as exciting at the local watering hole now. Geezz, been over 30 year's since I've been at that saloon. Wheres the time go?

Back on topic...Glider is right on the money.
Also, I listen real close while warming up.

Glider, ever do the "short broom stick or long screw driver" between engine case (and other parts) and ear? I bet you have....Some wrenches I know use a modified stethoscope. Good for checking for 'loose' stuff.

Glider, ever do the "short broom stick or long screw driver" between engine case (and other parts) and ear? I bet you have....Some wrenches I know use a modified stethoscope. Good for checking for 'loose' stuff.

I use a stethoscope with a built in sound chamber. Only problem is you hare SO much noise, it's hard to tell what is normal with that thing.:D

To tell you the truth Smitty, I very rarely check the lights before riding because I make a habit of checking constantly as I am riding when I come up to a stop behind a car or as I mount up on the way out of the garage. I also check the brake/tail lights in the car behind me (reflection) using my mirrors when I stop by applying them, even a flash of the blinkers. I do this as a regular habit and always have, that's why I rarely include the checking of the lights when I reply when i should mention it.

Over tighten. I need to get a torque wrench. Any recommendations. One specifically for my Harley.

Over tighten. I need to get a torque wrench. Any recommendations. One specifically for my Harley.

Best bang for your buck would probably be a basic Craftsman 3/8's ft.lbs. model.Just remember never to use it to losen anything, and always reset it to 0 when finished.

Back