check engine light comes on

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by george, Jul 18, 2008.

1. george

george New Member

I ride a 2004 roadster. As of late the check engine comes on once in awhile while riding. Any ideas/fixes for this condition? I haven't noticed any performance problems.

2. Carroll B

Carroll B Member

George I saw my check engine light come on the first time I rode the bike any distance. It flashed on for 1-2 seconds at highway speed but I couldn't tell any difference in the way it was running. I later had problems with it stumbling and coughing when trying ot accelerate from a light and had to switch to the reserve for the fuel. Thought maybe it was due to 90+ temps. I bought the bike used and thought this morning that the gas in the tank is 6 months old. After I filled up with new gas the problems seemed to go away. I will put some carb cleaner in the gas and pull the plugs this weekend to see what condition they are in.

I would like to know what conditions will turn on the check engine light.

3. george

george New Member

I made an appointment with the local shop to have it looked at next week. gulp. I hope it is an easy fix! It comes on and off randomly.

Geo

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Take a look here, it will tell you how to pull the codes and what they mean. It could be something you can do yourself for a fix.

04-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation - Harley Davidson Community

5. george

george New Member

Thanks for the tips. I believe I found the loose connection that was causing the intermitant problem. (a senior moment on my part) Now I can cancel my repair appt. Thanks again!

Geo

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Glad you found the problem before the dealer took you for a ride.:D

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Good deal on finding the problem lot cheaper than a trip to any repair place