free website stats program check engine light comes on | Harley Davidson Forums

check engine light comes on

george

I ride a 2004 roadster. As of late the check engine comes on once in awhile while riding. Any ideas/fixes for this condition? I haven't noticed any performance problems.

George I saw my check engine light come on the first time I rode the bike any distance. It flashed on for 1-2 seconds at highway speed but I couldn't tell any difference in the way it was running. I later had problems with it stumbling and coughing when trying ot accelerate from a light and had to switch to the reserve for the fuel. Thought maybe it was due to 90+ temps. I bought the bike used and thought this morning that the gas in the tank is 6 months old. After I filled up with new gas the problems seemed to go away. I will put some carb cleaner in the gas and pull the plugs this weekend to see what condition they are in.

I would like to know what conditions will turn on the check engine light.

I made an appointment with the local shop to have it looked at next week. gulp. I hope it is an easy fix! It comes on and off randomly.

Geo

Thanks for the tips. I believe I found the loose connection that was causing the intermitant problem. (a senior moment on my part) Now I can cancel my repair appt. Thanks again!

Geo

Back