Check engine light but no codes?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by atm33, Oct 30, 2014.

1. atm33

atm33 Active Member

Got a check engine light the other day, but when I went to check the codes, there were none! It did spout out some part numbers (security module, cruise control, and speedo), but no codes. Also, I noticed the ABS light was continually flashing during the code check, but I can't remember if it does that all the time anyway. Has anyone had this happen to them?

2. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

That's a strange 1, others that may have experienced this will chime in but whenever I had the check engine light come on I also showed a code.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Check all the basics. Load test battery and check cables. Check intake manifold for looseness. Any recent repairs or mods done. If a minor glitch the light can come on and leave no fault..

4. atm33

atm33 Active Member

Will check at that. Hopefully you are right, and just a minor fault. Thanks.

Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, but the battery charge was low when I started up because I hadn't ridden in a week and the bike hadn't been charged. So, it was hard starting. Maybe the diagnostics sensed that and threw the light?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  5. Jennmarr

Jennmarr Junior Member

Sitting for a week means the battery is low? Definitely need to load test that battery, and maybe need to be looking for a parasitic drain.

6. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

I would agree with the Weak Battery theory. As far as the ABS flashing doesn't it do that anyway until the bike goes forward a few feet? I don't have ABS on mine, that's what I recall about the light. It is doing some type of a check until wheel movement. With just checking codes you had no wheel movement.
    tourbox

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

That is what we call a roll off test, just like cars the ABS unit goes thru a self test:s

8. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

On my bike ('11 FLSTC) the ABS light continues to flash until the bike reaches a nominal speed of 20 mph after each start.

Cheers,

TQ

9. atm33

atm33 Active Member

Thanks all. I guess you don't pay attention to such things unless you have a problem, then it seems like everything (even if normal) is out of whack!

10. turnerbend

turnerbend Active Member

I would not worry about it unless it comes on again. Could be A 1 time operator error...