free website stats program "Check Engine Light" 2004 HD FXSTS | Harley Davidson Forums

"Check Engine Light" 2004 HD FXSTS

Bird1948

I just installed a "Brightass" tail/stop light on my 2004 HD FXSTS. The scoot has been parked for approx. 2 1/2 months, battery didn't have enough power to start the engine however the tail/stop light, headlight and turn signals worked. I charged the batter the rode it about 4 miles to a gas station. When I was ready leave, the battery didn't have enough power to spin the engine. I jumped with a car and got it started, then drove about 7 miles and noticed the low charge warning light was on and also what I believe to be the check engine light was on. I pulled the clutch and hit the kill switch, both lights went out. When I moved the kill switch to the on position and released the clutch, the engine started and both lights were out. Within about 5 seconds, both lights were on again.
I have no idea what is going on but the battery is not being charged at all.
Any help or suggestioins will be greatly appreciated.

Bird1948, welcome to HDTimeline and hope you have had an opportunity to look into the hyperlink that Glider posted to help you from the self help section tab at the top.

You also related that you worked on the taillight/stoplight ckt. Be aware that the wiring passes through metal tubes and guide under the rear wheel fender...so make sure the wiring is not pinched or improperly wired/grounding out to metal parts. Might also consider using dielectric grease in all the connectors to prevent corrosion.

Also, when you parked the bike for couple of months have you considered getting a battery tender (trickle charges battery), in case your bike has a Security Alarm that could discharge battery over time.

Back