free website stats program Check Engine but no code | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Engine but no code

I have a 2003 Road King FI and have an intermittent check engine light coming on. It comes on at mostly higher speeds and will go back of as I slow for a stop. Can also go off at the higher speed at times as well but always when I slow down. Bike seems to be running fine though

I have followed the procedures to retrieve error codes but none "seem" to be present. That assumes I am doing it correctly of course! I have jumpered out 1 & 2 on the data link and with the run switch on I turn the key switch to the on position. wait one second after fuel pump shuts off and the turn the switch back to off. Wait 3 seconds and do it again. On the third time I leave the switch on but no codes.

Any thoughts?

When you turn the bike on, the engine light comes on for four seconds and then goes out, does it come back on in a eight seconds window after that?

When you turn the bike on, the engine light comes on for four seconds and then goes out, does it come back on in a eight seconds window after that?
i dont think so but it may occassionaly . Will have to check in the AM I dont recall it coming back on until I am at a pretty good speed

i dont think so but it may occassionaly . Will have to check in the AM I dont recall it coming back on until I am at a pretty good speed
when I try to pul down a code the red key light (alarm?) stays on longer than the check engine light

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I checked the Voltage regulator and seemed ok but replaced anyway. Still getting the check engine light at around 3000 rpms consistantly while bike is under a load. Still cannot get a code when I jump out the data link and cycle the ignition 3 times.

Any suggestions?

From what you describe " Still getting the check engine light at around 3000 rpms consistantly while bike is under a load." I would consider the injector wiring. They were known for being strapped too tightly when the bike was made. Do the wiggle test on the wire near the plug on the injector with the bike idling and see if you can make it miss.

Front Injector Problem (FL Models) - Harley Davidson Community

tried that but no change in engine when I wiggle them Also when the light comes on the bike still seems to run fine. I do have a PCIII will the check code process still work wit hthe PCIII in place?

ChromeInvested -- sounds like you got more than just "chrome" in there. Do you have a stage I and have you done a recent oil/primary/tranny fluid change...might be losing oil pressure or the dreaded chain tensioner shoe wear problem (clogged orange bits in the oil passages) or oil pump alignment issue. Could even be simple oil pressure sending unit/wiring sending sending you "false alarms"...just a thought.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/17888-cam_chain_tensioner.html

DTC codes link
http://www.hdtimeline.com/diagnosti...elated/729-00_03_hd_codes_and_activation.html

Thanks for the info. I do have stage II 95 Kit. Did an oil change about 1k ago and all other fluids at the 10k which was about 4k ago. Havent heard about the chain tensioner issue. Any way to check the presure sending unit?

Back