Cheap Saddlebag insurance

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Breeze3at, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

There are a few articles on the web and You Tube telling/showing how the saddlebags on a touring bike can be detached in less than 10 seconds with only a screwdriver. Here's a CHEAP trick to thwart the casual thief. Get a 5/16"-18
    U- nut, bolt and lock washer from almost any hardware or home center. Remove the stock spring clip, and substitute the U-nut, NO TOOL REQUIRED. Then use the big flat washer that was on the spring pin, with a lock washer and a 5/16" x 1 1/4" (not critical length) bolt to attach the bag. Don't tighten too tight and crush the rubber washer. I use blue locktite and only go finger tight. When the locktite drys, it won't allow vibration to loosen the bolt. I only used one per side, on the front of the bag, which is the easiest one for a thief to pry off. Total cost, less than $1.50 per side.
    Remember, professional thieves will get what they want, this if for the amateur opportunist type low life.

Attached Files:

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Good Advice, I did that with both my baggers, plus keeping them locked will keep the thieves busy

3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Great tip. Copied you're list and will be picking the needed parts up on the next trip to town. Thanks

4. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

That's what I do Jack, I lock mine. It makes me feel good but I get the feeling that an experienced thief could pop that latch like nothing. :(

5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators