free website stats program Cheap remote oil filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Cheap remote oil filter

atm33

For those of you always looking for another project on your ride, I decided to install a remote oil filter. Works great so far, no leaks or problems. I know its risky to introduce weak spots in the oil system, but oil changes will be a breeze now and the filter is exposed to the wind which should aid in cooling somewhat. If there is ever a hint of a problem I can revert back to stock in about 5 minutes. I used a Derale remote and adapter, along with some basic hardware from the local hardware store. You can get cheaper remotes/adapters, but I wanted to stick with USA made stuff. There are a million ways to mount the remote, and it really depends on your bike. The total was around $70, which is a bargain compared to some others on the market.

Attachments

• components.jpg
    components.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 97
  • remote side view.jpg
    remote side view.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 104
  • remote assembly side view 2.jpg
    remote assembly side view 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 95
Interesting.
Nice, simple & clean. Good job.

Did you need fab up the mount plate?

Link: Derale Performance | The leader in performance cooling!

I too wondered about the mounting arrangement. Its obviously a highway peg mount but what about the rest?

The mounting plate (black in the first photo) was the only thing I had to make. I used scrap steel around 1/8" thick, cut out the shape I wanted, made a 90 degree bend in the vise and drilled a few holes. I painted it with some bedliner paint I had laying around. Everything else is stock from the store (brass fittings, bolts, nuts, washers, chrome spacer, hose and hose clamps). The HD 3-piece frame clamp I found new on Ebay for $9 shipped. Because it is fairly close to the original filter mounting area, the rubber hose pieces are only around 6" long so I can easily keep an eye on it for leaks. Fun project.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Maybe post what kit model number you used from Derale in case any body is interested.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Maybe post what kit model number you used from Derale in case any body is interested.

Good idea. The adapter is a Derale #15703 ($18). The remote (was wrong, it's not Derale but made in USA) is a Perma Cool #1701 ($22). You can get many styles of remotes to fit your mounting location. Derale actually sells an entire kit for around $44 on Amazon including hose, clamps, fittings, but the remote wouldn't work in my application so I had to buy piece by piece.

Nice job, what brand filter is that?

It's a Wix 57148. I've been using Wix for all my cars/bikes for years and like the quality. It is 5 micron and specifically recommended for HD by Wix. It's cheaper than HD (not much, $10 vs $15), but that's not why I buy them-- just my old habits I suppose. I would have no problem buying a HD filter and had actually planned to do so, before I learned Wix had a Harley specific filter.

It's a Wix 57148. I've been using Wix for all my cars/bikes for years and like the quality. It is 5 micron and specifically recommended for HD by Wix. It's cheaper than HD (not much, $10 vs $15), but that's not why I buy them-- just my old habits I suppose. I would have no problem buying a HD filter and had actually planned to do so, before I learned Wix had a Harley specific filter.

:D Wix is a good filter thanks for the info and the pics

Back