free website stats program Chatterbox Intercom System? | Harley Davidson Forums

Chatterbox Intercom System?

Anyone ever use one of these systems?
If so, how did it go?
We had no luck whatsoever with it.

Rod

I would like to hear some more details about what you weren't happy with. I've been considering a rider/passenger and bike to bike system. Talked to the Scala guy in Daytona Friday but his system was $400. I can think of lots of things I'd rather spend $400 on right now!

My wife and I purchased the Chatterbox XBi before leaving for Sturgis. I worked great for the most part. A few details I would change, but it works. This if for rider and passenger on the same bike. We have used it while riding separately, but it only works when you are real close or stopped at a light....

I'd recommend the J&M CB. mounts on the bar nicely, 40 channels, plus can hook up an MP3 player. besides, you should already have a CB on your bike, didnt it come stock

Thanks for the replies everyone.
A riding buddy and I both bought Chatterbox systems about 3 years ago with great hopes.
We found we could talk bike to bike up to about perhaps 300 yards apart; beyond which it was just too staticy.

Playing MP3's through them was not too bad.
The biggest problem was trying to get the squelch adjusted right so that it shuts off between talks, and fires up without your having to yell. It seems like we were forever adjusting the squelch up and down, and everytime you change speed even a little, it would need readjusting.

My wife and I both had full helmet headsets, but hers was too loud, and mine too soft. We could never get the volume adjusted right.

So in the end, we just gave up. Now my wife and I talk back and forth just as is, and we listen to the speakers that are on the bike.

Anyone want to buy a Chatterbox?

Rod

Thanks for the replies everyone.
A riding buddy and I both bought Chatterbox systems about 3 years ago with great hopes.
We found we could talk bike to bike up to about perhaps 300 yards apart; beyond which it was just too staticy.

Playing MP3's through them was not too bad.
The biggest problem was trying to get the squelch adjusted right so that it shuts off between talks, and fires up without your having to yell. It seems like we were forever adjusting the squelch up and down, and everytime you change speed even a little, it would need readjusting.

My wife and I both had full helmet headsets, but hers was too loud, and mine too soft. We could never get the volume adjusted right.

So in the end, we just gave up. Now my wife and I talk back and forth just as is, and we listen to the speakers that are on the bike.

Anyone want to buy a Chatterbox?

Rod

I bought a chatterbox when I had my road king. Used it once for five minutes. It sucked. I tossed it on a shelf somewhere then tossed it in the trash. What a waste of money.

We were looking for an intercom and chose the J&M Integrater. It ain't cheap. My wife usually doesn't ride in when it gets cold, so we bought the half helmet set up and the VOX works well. It has a built in tuner for FM, not great range but ok around town. I has input for cell phone, Aux, Nav, and one other input. The speakers are not the best for music, but we can talk with one another at over 70 mph and the clarity is the best of several intercoms that I tried. This is not bike to bike capable though. J&M does make a system that includes bluetooth and bike to bike, but it is not cheap either. I guess you get what you pay for and I think what I got is worth the price.

Back