free website stats program Chatter | Harley Davidson Forums

Chatter

kabory

Hello all, I have a 2011 wide glide. I noticed yesterday a problem with either the front end or motor. I have a warranty appointment on Tue, but was wondering if anybody has any input of what the problem may be.

Upon accell or decell I am getting a chatter from the front end., You can hear it, sounds like its under the gas tank and you can feel it in the handle bars and foot pegs. Not sure if its from the forks or motor mount. Feels like I'm riding on a jack hammer. I can pretty much make it happen by being in 4th gear running up to 50 mph, then release the throttle till speed drops to 40 mph, then back on throttle and chatter is there.

Any ideas of what the problem may be would be appreciated.

Just a wee thought a while back there were some issues with dyna models where the tank front mount bolts were not tight and the tank would clunk but it sounded like a front end clunk
easy to test go to bike grab front of tank and try to move it up and down if it moves tighten the bolts and it is sorted

Brian

Just a wee thought a while back there were some issues with dyna models where the tank front mount bolts were not tight and the tank would clunk but it sounded like a front end clunk
easy to test go to bike grab front of tank and try to move it up and down if it moves tighten the bolts and it is sorted

Brian

Thanx for the input, checked the tank and did not find a problem there.

Check the front motor mount. The bolts may be loose.

motor mounts look good, dropped off at dealer this morning. On the way there I noticed one of the noises is from the fuel cap rattling. The dealer immediatley found the tank was loose, they are going to go over entire bike for me. They will have it till next Monday as I'm on vacation, Woohoo, leaving for Florida in the am.

If you're not getting any steering wobble...something's gotta be loose (tank & maybe more). After the dealer's done - take a quick test ride/check & if the problem isn't gone...180 back to dealer for more. Good luck!

Got bike back dealer found and repaired the following
Loose gas tank
2 loose front tire spokes
Tightened front risers and center stem
Removed dust caps and inspected fork seals
Test ride
Wash and cleaned
I've only rode for about 10 miles but it feels
Solid and I didn't notice any of the chatter
I had before
WAP.gif

Back