free website stats program Chasing the clunk | Harley Davidson Forums

Chasing the clunk

kzoo

Banned
So for a couple of months now, I have been chasing a clunk in the front end of my 04 Heritage. Triple tree, inspected everything, tightened and torqued. Still clunks when i hit a big bump.

Yesterday, I took the detachable windshield off to clean it, ran to the store without it....lo and behold ... no clunk!!

Thinking back, it started about the time I put the windshield on!!

Gheesh...sometimes I overlook the simplest of things!

So for a couple of months now, I have been chasing a clunk in the front end of my 04 Heritage. Triple tree, inspected everything, tightened and torqued. Still clunks when i hit a big bump.

Yesterday, I took the detachable windshield off to clean it, ran to the store without it....lo and behold ... no clunk!!

See what you can do all by yourself:s Good job on trouble shooting

Glad you found your problem. If there is anything I have learned from the great Glider is to go back to the last thing I did before the problem started.

I also noticed my tank cap will rattle on some bumps. But I think my clunk that occurs when I front brake hard is my fork tubes as in I need to change the oil in them. As in it's low or got air in the oil or both. Don't have time right now but gonna be putting the SE fork oil in.

I also noticed my tank cap will rattle on some bumps. But I think my clunk that occurs when I front brake hard is my fork tubes as in I need to change the oil in them. As in it's low or got air in the oil or both. Don't have time right now but gonna be putting the SE fork oil in.

Dave, we used to drill and tap the top nut and put in schrader valves then you have air forks Anti Dive like Baggers:s

Dave, we used to drill and tap the top nut and put in schrader valves then you have air forks Anti Dive like Baggers:s

That sounds interesting. I'm wondering what kind of pressure I need to expect coming from the springs when I do remove those top nuts?

Is this a real brutal thing or can the average old redneck handle such things?

That sounds interesting. I'm wondering what kind of pressure I need to expect coming from the springs when I do remove those top nuts?

Is this a real brutal thing or can the average old redneck handle such things?

Nah, just make sure the front end is hanging, you can handle the pressure. I weigh in at 150 and I aint scared:p

Are you sure it's not your neck bearing? I've had mine start clunking twice. It only happens on sharp bumps or on hard braking. Check your neck bearing.
(fall away adjustment)

The SE oil being a 15 wt will give you a bit of a stiff front end on the dyna. You may be better off with the 10 wt "B" fork oil. I tried the SE 15 wt in the RK and it was a bit stiff.

Are you sure it's not your neck bearing? I've had mine start clunking twice. It only happens on sharp bumps or on hard braking. Check your neck bearing. (fall away adjustment)

Fall away is within 4 inches. Not sure bout the bearing but bike has near 16K miles.

The SE oil being a 15 wt will give you a bit of a stiff front end on the dyna. You may be better off with the 10 wt "B" fork oil. I tried the SE 15 wt in the RK and it was a bit stiff.

Oh ok, glad to hear that. Seems I heard somewhere the SE fork oil was better than the standard Dyna oil. Currently I don't know squat bout fork oil. What exactly is the 'B' oil ?

Back