free website stats program chasing a vibration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

chasing a vibration

My compensator nut came loose and over the long period of time this was happening the engine at idle got rougher and the whole front end (the fairing seemed to ampify the vibration) would be shaking. This is my first harley (bought it used with over 60K miles on it)and I didn't know what sounds were normal for a high milage harley. Dealer said the noise it was making was a loose primary chain. They adjusted the chain and it was somewhat better. The following spring it was getting worse and when I decided to check the primary chain adjustment myself. I found a cracked tentioner shoe, a worn primary chain, a very loose compensator nut and an alternator rotor that was severaly worn from rockin on the crankshaft. Normally all these parts plus the cluthpack/flywheel rotate together as a single unit to dampen the pulsing of the engine, but with all the slack between the related parts the engine can develope some serious vibrations and a very rough idle.

03Ultra

Thanks for the input, I will have to put this on my list of things to check.

So far I have managed to get the vibration more in check but not completely in submissioin.

I have adjusted the fall away, re-torqued the head nut, changed the fork fluid, re-torqued the front axle, adjusted the torque on the front mount, checked the air pressure in the front tire, and checked a whole bunch of other nuts and bolts.

So now it may be time to start opening things up.

I still have a strange suspicion this has something to do with the front mount change.

Have you checked tires for excessive runout or the wheel bearings ?
I see you have 60k on this bike. Are these the orginal tires ?

Have you checked tires for excessive runout or the wheel bearings ?
I see you have 60k on this bike. Are these the orginal tires ?

No these are nowhere close to the original tires. I go through two rears and a front every year.

The wheels and bearings where replaced about 20K ago, never had a problem until the mount change.

Also, if your getting anywhere close to 60K on your tires I want to know where your buying them from so i can get some?

The replacement mounts are a stiffer mount and this may be the reason you are feeling more vibrations over the old one.

The replacement mounts are a stiffer mount and this may be the reason you are feeling more vibrations over the old one.

Thanks Glider, I am really leaning toward the mount being the difference in the feel, but I am still slowly illiminating all other potential areas, starting small and working my way up and around.

Even thinking about getting the wheel rebalanced even though I don't think that is it, but it can't hurt.

What's your take on the Dyna Beads?

Thanks Glider, I am really leaning toward the mount being the difference in the feel, but I am still slowly illiminating all other potential areas, starting small and working my way up and around.

Even thinking about getting the wheel rebalanced even though I don't think that is it, but it can't hurt.

What's your take on the Dyna Beads?

WHOOO, they are very popular now:s Chopper a member here sells them and has had great reviews on them :s

Back