free website stats program Charging system problems!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging system problems!!

Have compufire 3 phase system. Have good readings across stator leads (.4 ohms) on all. But when I go to ground with all three leads come up with readings. Suppose to be infinite, mine are not. Is that for sure proof that the stator is bad?? Oil does not smell at all. And can anybody give me test procedure for the regulator also, there seems to be conflicting information here as to voltage readings from the pin leads to the stator to ground. One article says there should be no voltage present do to diode, and another refers to a certain regulator that will show voltage there. Can anybody clarify this for me. And if there are 2 types of regulators how do you know which one you have??

Yes regulator is disconnected.. On the 200 ohms scale I get a reading on all pins to ground of 20 ohms.. Bad stator correct??

O-ya, big time.
A Bad regulator probably took out the stator. After you get it rolling again, be sure to check for large voltage drops (greater than 1/4 volt) on both the negative and positive wires coming out of the regulator to the battery.

Back