free website stats program Charging system problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging system problem

rgoot01

I just picked up a 2001 Electra Glide Standard that needed a new belt. I went through and replaced the belt but during the disassembly my buddy forgot to disconnect the battery and as a result when we were removing the starter bolt he touched the positive cable to the frame. Now after the new belt has been installed the battery is not charging.

Could this be a result of grounding the positive cable?

I performed the test on the charging system that Jack published and am getting weird results.

The battery was taken in to load test and the battery checked out good.
Next we checked the regulator as stated in the test instructions and with my digital multi-meter it read on both pins .18 and .19 volts. This would indicate a faulty regulator per test instructions. Next we checked resistance on the stator pins and they read what they need to 0.1-0.2 ohms. Continuity test on stator was good to go also. Finally we checked stator output and with the multi-meter set a 40 volts AC it only reads like 0.2.

Does all this mean I have to replace the entire charging system (stator, regulator)?

IMO the regulator is certainly burned up, the field coils on the stator probably took a hit from the dead short, looks to me the system is in need of replacement, lesson learned years ago the hard way, I always take the battery out of the loop when doing repairs, sorry for your luck, keep us posted on the repair

IMO the regulator is certainly burned up, the field coils on the stator probably took a hit from the dead short, looks to me the system is in need of replacement, lesson learned years ago the hard way, I always take the battery out of the loop when doing repairs, sorry for your luck, keep us posted on the repair

Thank you Jack. I will start shopping for new components.

Finally we checked stator output and with the multi-meter set a 40 volts AC it only reads like 0.2.

Does all this mean I have to replace the entire charging system (stator, regulator)?

Chances are when the positive cable touched ground, that's what took out the regulator. At this point the stator was still good. Then when the bike was started with a shorted regulator, the stator was driven directly to ground and burned itself up.

Back