free website stats program Charging system issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging system issue

Am I suppose to get voltage at the reg pins?

If your really seeing just 12v AC at the unloaded output of the stator, I would say it is toast. Most likely the regulator went 1st which drove the output of the stator into ground.

The question you have about the voltage that you read on the two pins of the regulator,,, I can't say for sure because I have only worked on the 3 phase systems, but I do have a 2002 service manual and the following is from that manual. Your 2003 should be close (?).

=>Be sure regulator is connected to battery. Unplug stator connector. Use a trouble light and touch one probe to a known good ground and the other to the regulator pins, one at a time. If light glows, replace regulator.<=

I would use a trouble light and not a meter for this test. A meter can give you an incorrect result when making that check.
Another thing I noticed in the 2002 manual is a self resetting circuit breaker in the charging system circuit. I would change that out for a Maxi-Fuse. When those CB's get old, they place voltage drop in the circuit which forces the charging system to work harder to make up for the difference.

Yep. It's the stator. Completely fused black where the leads go into the unit. The winding at that point and one on each side. They are black. Will pick up a new one this week and replace. I will use the new regulator also. Hope to change my mood to something positive by week's end.

I still am confused why I get 12VDC at each pin of the reg. I don't want to fry new parts.

Thanks for the help and advise!

Back