Charging system issue

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Carl_K, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Carl_K

Carl_K Member

I need opnions. problem-Charging system not working on 03 Ultra.Summary - Riding with friends who tell me my brake light is on 50% of the time. Put the bike in my shop. Pin point a bad rear brake light swith. Replace. Work fine. Since I have the bike up and approaching 5k, I change the fluids. Take it on test ride. Check engine light pops on after 4 miles. Votage reading starts to drop. Back to shop. Check this site for support. Get great system testing advise.

Load test battery - OK

Test Regulator (Replaced on Great Lakes ride in Cleveland in 05)- Neg meter lead to neg batt terminal. Read 12VDC on both pins of Reg plug. According to what I read here it is bad. New reg installed. Still reads 12VDC on each pin.

Test Stator - No Ohm reading at each pin to ground. .5 ohm across pins. Fire up bike and reads about 12VAC output no matter what RPM.

Is the stator bad?

Why do I still get a voltage reading at each pin of reg of new unit?

2. Carl_K

Carl_K Member

Need a little (please read alot!) of help.

03 Ultra
    Replaced a bad rear brake light switch. Decided to change all fluids while up in the air. (Run Syn3 in each) Take it for a test ride. 4 miles into ride the check engine light comes on. Voltage reading starts to drop. Go back to shop and check all connections. I only pulled the wires to the brake swith. All others appear good. Visit this site for trouble shooting ideas. (Great site guys!!)

Load test battery - OK

Test regulator - Neg meter lead to neg battery terminal. Read 12VDC at each pin. If I have read the tips correctly this means the regulator is bad.

Test the stator - No ohm reading from stator pins to ground. 0.5 ohm reading across pins. Fire up bike and read 12VAC output at idle. No change at higher RPM.

Install new regulator - still reads 12VDC at each pin.

Do I have a bad stator?

Why do I read voltage at each pin of Regulator? Bad ground?

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

That should not be. Should be much higher (50 volts A/C @ 3K) with open ended stator (no load). Fix this 1st.

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Re: Stator Gone Bad

Since the charging system went bad so close to the same time you changed the brake switch, I have to ask you if something shorted while replacing the brake switch. Any sparks during the procedure? Sounds like a spike took out the regulator. Once that happens, the stator is just minutes behind.

5. Carl_K

Carl_K Member

Am I suppose to get voltage at the reg pins?

6. mtmasean

mtmasean Active Member

Carl, I just went through this. I have an 85 FXEF Evo 1340 motor. My stator was putting out 17 vac and the voltage regulator was putting 12.5 vdc. Which is not enough to charge the battery. I upgraded from the 22 amp to a 32 amp charging system. I don't have a lot of extras on the bike but, it is nice to know that if/when I do add stuff I'll have (or should have) the power to run it. I was told usually if the voltage regulator goes bad that the stator is not far behind it. Plus, it was a little cheaper to buy the kit rather individual parts too. I also never replaced one before and did the work myself. It was pretty easy, I looked at the self help and some of the videos on here and the You Tube links. That helped a lot.

Not sure if any of this helped but good luck with it.

7. Carl_K

Carl_K Member

Re: Stator Gone Bad

I only worked on the brake switch. No sparks. Quite simple fix. The bike ran fine for awhile. The voltage read a 14+ while riding. It seems the charging system went while I was riding.
    I agree it is suspicious that the system went shortly after the repair. That is why I checked the connections. I may have bumped something during the fix, but all seems OK. Before I start investing money and time on a stator I want to be sure I need it. Not just replace parts looking for a fix.

8. Carl_K

Carl_K Member

Sorry Tank,

New guy who was looking for answers. I did read the rules first, but got carried away trying to get an answer. Won't happen again.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

HMMM LOL Sir Tank more than just a Librarian, Your friend Capital Jack:D

10. 75shovelbobber

75shovelbobber Banned

Unless you can find a shorted out wire / bad connection right off your bettery or chaging system its pretty safe to say its the stator. not uncommon for both reg and stator to go together