free website stats program Charging System Failed Again | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging System Failed Again

Just had my ultra classic in at the dealer for repair of the charging system. Voltage at battery was 11.46 volts while idling and regardless of how high the revs went it stayed right there. Took the bike into Ft Worth HD and they found the stator to be bad and replaced it. Everything else, according to them, was A OK. So I took it home. After putting 33 miles on it this weekend went to ride it again last night. Upon starting it up, I noticed the headlight fluxuating bright, dim, bright and back to dim several times. Took a look at the Voltage guage and noticed it was moving from 14 volts to 11 back to 14 and back to 11 and after several fluxations, finally settled at 11.

What in the world could be wrong with this thing? This is getting really old quick. Guess I'll have to return it to HD as I need it for a long run this weekend.

Thanks

Sounds like they should have put a regulator on it also. Get it back there and have them fix it right!

I agree on the regulator or even a loose connection somewhere. It may be the problem why the first stator went out. Chances are the stator wasn't even the problem. These bikes will usually anywhere from 1 to 3 days just on the battery before they will not run any more depending on how many miles you put on it.

Check the plug on the block that connects the reg to the stator they are famous for coming loose,jel

Re: Charging System Failed Again (UPDATE)

Well guys, when I got home from work I checked everything for loose connections and couldn't find any. Threw on my riding garb and it fired right up. Left the house heading for the dealer to drop it off (again). On the way down there, I noticed the voltmeter kept dropping down to about 11 volts and when I let off the throttle, it would increase back up to about 13.5 volts. Weird! When at a constant rpm of about 3K it would stay at 11 volts. Whatever is wrong, I sure hope these HD service techs can figure it out. Got me stumped. Anyone ever experience anything like this. Sort of acted like a really freaked out regulator. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. I have always thought that you should never replace just the stator or just the rectifer; if replacing one, both must be replaced. Having said that, I was surprised when the dealer only replaced the stator last week. Wonder how much they will want this time round. If anyone is interested, I'll follow up with what they found or alledgedly find.

For sure let us know. We're interested.....That's why we're here!!! The more we learn, the better for all of us.

Re: Charging System Failed Again (UPDATE #2)

According to the service techs at my local HD dealer, the battery is gone. Weird, but well see! I find it hard to believe with the unusual symptoms the bike displayed, i.e, the voltmeter fluctuating between 11 and 13.5 volts while riding, and holding steady when decellerating, are indicative of a bad battery. If the battery was bad, how could it have 12.65 volts when not running? Why would the bike start over and over again with a bad battery? But having owned bikes since I was 12, and I am now almost 60, and this is only my second Harley, who knows. I guess all I can do is pick it up and ride and see how it behaves. I just hope they are correct and a new battery puts an end to my Ultra's electrical issue. And, my God, a $155.00 battery; I just replaced three batteries in my motorhome for less than that.

Back