free website stats program Charging System: Battery versus Regulatory | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging System: Battery versus Regulatory

Greetings,

I am currently experiencing battery charging problems that I think are related to my regulator according to the diagnostic codes that I retreived from my bike ( 2008 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC ):

P = P0562 and P0563 (PN 34479-07b) - Battery Voltage Low & Battery Voltage High
S = b0563 (PN 68925-07) - Battery Voltage High TSM/TSSM
SP = b1006 and b1007 (PN 67033-08) - Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments and Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
t = no r5p
b = no r5p

I just want to re-confirm that the following below is related to my regulator:

1. After starting my bike and letting it idle for about 10 minutes, I tried to restart the bike, but it just clicked, clicked and clicked.

2. After recharging my battery with my battery tender over the weekend, I repeated step # 1 above and same thing happend.

Additional notes: I replaced my battery (9-2012), starter (12-2012) and stator (12-2012).

Very Respectfully,

Without proper base line voltage the computer system can not receive proper inputs from system. A battery tender is just that a maintainer and not a actual charger. 1st you need to check battery cables for tightness and clean to be sure battery is being charge by bike properly. If that's ok, then battery needs pulled and tested which should include a load test to check starting integrity of battery. If battery is not properly tested and continue recharging takes place, if you do not have a charging system problem now you will most definitely will from charging system trying to charge a bad battery....

1. After starting my bike and letting it idle for about 10 minutes, I tried to restart the bike, but it just clicked, clicked and clicked.
Remove, clean and reinstall battery cables and let us know what happens.

Remember that the cables have two ends, both should be cleaned with a wire brush or the likes. It sure sounds like a bad connection somewhere in the starter circuit (heavy cables). If you try to start it and hold the start button when it clicks for a couple of seconds, usually the bad connection will get hot.

Greetings,

I am currently experiencing battery charging problems that I think are related to my regulator according to the diagnostic codes that I retreived from my bike ( 2008 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC ):

SP = b1006 and b1007 (PN 67033-08) - Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments and Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
t = no r5p
b = no r5p

I just want to re-confirm that the following below is related to my regulator:

2. After recharging my battery with my battery tender over the weekend, I repeated step # 1 above and same thing happend.

Additional notes: I replaced my battery (9-2012), starter (12-2012) and stator (12-2012).

Very Respectfully,

i got these same codes on my 08 FLHTC. Check the manufacturer date on your regulator, then check this bulletin:

Harley Davidson Forums

i suspect you need a new regulator.

Thank you all for your feedback about my battery. I will go back to the shop where I purchased the battery in December 2012, maybe they will replace the battery or at least prorate it.

As for the diagnostic codes that I retreived from my bike ( 2008 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC ), can some one explain why my battery is throwing out these codes:

t = no r5p
b = no r5p

Mike

If you have bad ground or connection, regulator will not have the battery voltage reference for proper output. Since battery is dead, obviously voltage not getting to it, since you have hi volts on accessory, bikes electricals are high because voltage regulator has no reference for proper voltage. Either you have bad connection, bad regulator, or both now
WAP.gif

Back