free website stats program Charging system (2004 Road King) | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging system (2004 Road King)

tomsaint

Charging system sporadic - charges then does not! Performed checks all 6 of them as listed here on this site - I am getting voltage at both pins of the regulator and the stator shows continuity pin to pin and .1 ohms from each pin to ground. Bought a new regulator mounted, did not plug into stator plug, just plugged into system and hooked up ground strap - tested new regulator without switching anything on or running the bike and got same voltage on both pins 11.7 as with the old regulator. Faulty regulator?? Any other checks I can do?As I said I did not even plug in the new regulator to the stator yet!

Thanks T!

Charging system sporadic - charges then does not! Performed checks all 6 of them as listed here on this site - I am getting voltage at both pins of the regulator and the stator shows continuity pin to pin and .1 ohms from each pin to ground. Bought a new regulator mounted, did not plug into stator plug, just plugged into system and hooked up ground strap - tested new regulator without switching anything on or running the bike and got same voltage on both pins 11.7 as with the old regulator. Faulty regulator?? Any other checks I can do?As I said I did not even plug in the new regulator to the stator yet!

Thanks T!

T,

When you did the bleed-back test, you were measuring each pin on the regulator to GROUND and getting 11.7 volts on each?

TQ

Welcome tomsaint, Stators can work on and off before they go out all together, makes them hard to diagnose, but if you have a intermittent charging problem it's likely the stator for sure, not the regulator.
And voltage does run through the regulator there is no bleed-back test in a 04 manual, harley manual, harley changed voltage regulators in 03 or 04 so the voltage you are reading from the new & old regulator is normal. From what you describe above it is your stator for sure, take the voltage regulator back they are almost bullet proof now a days.

Back