free website stats program Charging Problems? | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging Problems?

Doc_

Account Removed
i ran into a problem ...went to start the bike and the battery was dead ...i jumped it off ...and it ran then it just stopped ...after cleaning the connections ...the bike jumped off ...but now after 2000rpms the light dims and the bike wants to die ...anyone know whats going on?

Welcome to the forum Doc, my guess would be the stator, but it's just a guess untill you trouble shoot the problem, you need a volt meter, unplug the stator where it connects to the voltage regulator and testing in AC current you should have output as given in the self help section on this forum. And I guessed stator because you titled this post charging problem, and not battery problem, test the battery out first, do some reading on the self help section and you will have the bike fixed up and running fine in no time.

the reason i say charging because at 2000rpm its like someone turned the eletric off and its running off the stator ...if a dead battery does this ill buy one

Dead battery can be drawing so much current the charging system cannot keep up...as Glider says, battery discharged or internal shorts of one or more cells is likely problem.

The battery is the heart of the bikes electrical system, that's the place to start, if it's more then a couple of years old with riding season coming I would have no problem poping a new "AGM Harley Davidson Battery" in and then test the charging system to be sure. Ride safe

as i read the self help i see theres a thread almost like what i have but its at 3000rpm ...no one could help that guy out either ...it would be easier to just say ...we are guessing and dont know why we have this help section ...all that you guys have said can be said by anyone with no knowlege of this stuff ...after i find out what it is thats doing this ill help the other guy for you.

not trying to be mean ...just say it as i see it

as i read the self help i see theres a thread almost like what i have but its at 3000rpm ...no one could help that guy out either ...it would be easier to just say ...we are guessing and dont know why we have this help section ...all that you guys have said can be said by anyone with no knowlege of this stuff ...after i find out what it is thats doing this ill help the other guy for you.

not trying to be mean ...just say it as i see it
Thanks Doc, you think you have problems, the batteries were dead in my crystal ball this morning so I could not diagnose your problem let alone know I was going to be talking to a total jerk today. Buy a voltmeter and

like i said ...not trying to sound mean ...
but its like going to a doctor and saying my lungs hurt
...the doctor says back *are you breathing ...*

just here to get help ...sorry it went over your head and try lithium batteries or how ever you spell it.
since here in the United States of Amerca most harley shops are closed on Sundays ...i thought i would try the net ...big mistake

for the guy with the same problem ...get with me ill help you out ...after a few minutes with the old schoolers found the problem and had it fixed in a hour

The battery is the heart of the bikes electrical system, that's the place to start, if it's more then a couple of years old with riding season coming I would have no problem poping a new "AGM Harley Davidson Battery" in and then test the charging system to be sure. Ride safe

Like chopper says the battery is the source I always start at the source and work backwards a under charged battery is nothing but trouble, and I like H D batterys

Back