free website stats program Charging issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging issue

hargun2

I got a charging issue. Voltage dropped between 11 and 12 volts while sitting at a stop light, got it home and did all the checks that were spelled out in the service manual on the grounds,voltage regulator, battery load test and stator output checks. All checked good and after talking to the Harley dealership it was recommended that I R2 the stator and rotor. Got that done last weekend and it is charging at 14.29 volts but I have noticed that the volt meter stays at 14 plus volts and does not roll down at idle or change with throtle response. Then last night when it was running at idle the volt meter rolled down to about 12 volts then in about 30 seconds it rolled back up to the 14 volts plus postion. Any ideas????

but I have noticed that the volt meter stays at 14 plus volts and does not roll down at idle or change with throtle response. . Any ideas????

This part of it is completely normal. I would not worry about this part.

The part of the voltage going to 12 volts and then after 30 seconds it starts going back up, I don't understand.

Not that it has anything to do with your question, did they replace the rotor also (permanent magnet portion). Just wondering..

Get a cheap DVOM at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools and confirm what you are seeing on the dash gauge. These gauges are NOT precision instruments and a bit of corrosion on the terminals or a bad wire can drive you crazy. As an example, my dash gauge reads a volt low!! On the DVOM I am getting over 14V (like what you are getting), but on the dash gauge it looks like 13 and change. As soon as I have reason to, I will take off the fairing and clean the terminals on the gauge and resecure. I expect that to cure the problem.

However, if the DVOM confirms what you are seeing on the dash gauge, I would start to worry about the VR. I like to change out both the stator and the VR when ever one or the other goes bad on my bikes. For some reason, they seem to fail close to each other time-wise!!

TQ

used a trouble light when I first checked the VR after reading the forum I went back and used a volt meter. I have voltage and a new VR on order

Back