free website stats program Charging - first problem | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging - first problem

You don't want the breaker between the reg/rect and the battery, but between the battery and the ignition switch.
Never rely on the frame for ground....bond all important electrical items with a wire....daisy chain it from battery to lights to starter to ignition module, to horn, etc.

You don't want the breaker between the reg/rect and the battery, but between the battery and the ignition switch.
Never rely on the frame for ground....bond all important electrical items with a wire....daisy chain it from battery to lights to starter to ignition module, to horn, etc.

Hmmm. My '91 Dyna as issued, uses the frame for the ground on the VR. As indicated above, the replacement VRs from HD come with a couple of "star" washers to be used in mounting the VR to ensure good contact between the VR and the steel of the frame.

Piotra - I have attached the schematic from my Dyna. I suspect that the way you are setting up your bike with respect to the charging system, it is very close to my Dyna. As you can see, the VR hot wire goes to the main breaker on the same side as the wire to the the hot side of the ignition switch. The other side of the breaker goes to the positive terminal of the battery. This is what you drew in your sketch above.

TQ

Attachments

• Dyna Electrical Schematic.pdf
    79.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yep, most companies use the frame as a ground. It's cheap. It's simple. It's a bad idea. I have extensive experience in hostile (marine) environments, and the reality is that the voltage reg sits right up front getting a face full of water. I NEVER use the hull or any structure for the ground. Besides promoting corrosion in the hull, it is very iffy. NEVER use the frame as the only source of ground for any critical item. MANY HD reg/rects have toasted because of corrosion on the ground mounting or from water intrusion into the plug in the front of the engine, where the ac current exits the primary to the reg/rect. These often take the stator with them.
Play at your own risk.

I have to say how I fixed the problem of charging. It's mean I do not know how I did it. Just one day again I try to measure the voltage output from alternator. I unplugged the plug from alternator an I measured voltage - on idle were about 17-18 volts and when I accelerate about 38-40,5 V. And than I measured the voltage on battery in bike and there were about 13,2-13,4 on idle and about 14V when I accelerate.

I do not know why before it wasn't working. I'm sure that connections were OK. So maybe the rotor needed to be induced or whatever.

:D

I have to say how I fixed the problem of charging. It's mean I do not know how I did it. Just one day again I try to measure the voltage output from alternator. I unplugged the plug from alternator an I measured voltage - on idle were about 17-18 volts and when I accelerate about 38-40,5 V. And than I measured the voltage on battery in bike and there were about 13,2-13,4 on idle and about 14V when I accelerate.

I do not know why before it wasn't working. I'm sure that connections were OK. So maybe the rotor needed to be induced or whatever.

:D

Make sure that plug stays clean and tight

Back