free website stats program Charging - first problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging - first problem

The picture has no negative return for the regulator. If the bike wiring is the actual picture, there would be no charging current and the battery would not get charged.

I would install my own 10AWG pigtail jumper wire from the case od the regultor to the ENGINE block.(not the frame) You can not trust the frame. I would go to the engine/transmission assembly.

Also double check that CB breaker for any voltage drop across it while the breaker is passing a good amount of current. I am not saying that is your problem, but I would replace it with a Maxi Fuse/Holder and Maxi Fuse. Those CB breakers were OK years ago but today there is so much better.

The picture has no negative return for the regulator. If the bike wiring is the actual picture, there would be no charging current and the battery would not get charged.

I would install my own 10AWG pigtail jumper wire from the case od the regultor to the ENGINE block.(not the frame) You can not trust the frame. I would go to the engine/transmission assembly.

Also double check that CB breaker for any voltage drop across it while the breaker is passing a good amount of current. I am not saying that is your problem, but I would replace it with a Maxi Fuse/Holder and Maxi Fuse. Those CB breakers were OK years ago but today there is so much better.

Can never have enough grounds, most important part of any circuit:s

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents,

My '91 Dyna only has three wires coming out of the VR like the unit Piotra is describing here. This is the HD OEM unit for my bike. It relies on the mounting lugs that mount the VR to the frame for the ground. It is important to make sure there is no paint acting as an insulator where the VR mounting lugs make contact with the frame.

TQ

Okay, I am going to bite...if the stator is putting out 17V or so, and you are not getting charge voltage...the Voltage Regulator being a "shunt type voltage regulator" means it is supposed to only dump the excess current away from the battery while maintaining 14V. So if there is NO charge voltage rise above the static battery voltage, you have an open somewhere, as no portion of the 17V is getting shunted much less accessing the battery.

Check those stator terminals, one or more have probably receded and are not making contact. Checking the grounding of the Voltage Regulator is okay, but it sounds like it is not in the ckt either, or it would be warm to the touch after brief ride if it was "shunting" excess current to get that charge voltage down to 14V (to the tune of 3V) for that 17V stator voltage or so as designed. JMO

Last edited:
I checked stator terminals, I cleaned them, now I'm sure that it is OK. I checked also grounding of voltage regulator, I think, it is also OK.
But there is still no charging :-(

Any other ideas??
Are there any easy way to check voltage regulator, it was new, but sometimes it can happen to get not working part.
And last question, I have connected regulator to breaker and then to battery. Maybe should I connect it directly to battery without breaker? Is any difference how I connect it - aux/bat??

The exact reason why it was mentioned earlier.

Gents,

My '91 Dyna only has three wires coming out of the VR like the unit Piotra is describing here. This is the HD OEM unit for my bike. It relies on the mounting lugs that mount the VR to the frame for the ground. It is important to make sure there is no paint acting as an insulator where the VR mounting lugs make contact with the frame.

TQ

My '92 is the same. I just looked at the service manual, and it says "make sure the mounting lugs have good ground to frame". I have a Accell brand on it now, and I remember the instructions saying to use "star" washers to insure good ground.

My '92 is the same. I just looked at the service manual, and it says "make sure the mounting lugs have good ground to frame". I have a Accell brand on it now, and I remember the instructions saying to use "star" washers to insure good ground.

Grounds are the most important part of the circuit, and the vibrations dont help, so a quick check along with regular maint. should be on our list JMO:s I dont have a lot of electrical problems any more LOL

Grounds are the most important part of the circuit, and the vibrations dont help, so a quick check along with regular maint. should be on our list JMO:s I dont have a lot of electrical problems any more LOL

Yep,,.. But here we are at post #18 and wondering...

Back