free website stats program charging battery concern | Harley Davidson Forums

charging battery concern

rkc06

My buddy tried to start his 04rkc first time since last fall, battery was dead ,so we boosted it with a car battery. Got it started, but bike would die when cables were disconnected. Figured we would hook it up to my trickle charger for the night to see if we could get the battery charged. Here is the question. With the battery tender hooked up we started hearing an intermittent humming sound ( approx 1-2 seconds) from the speedo and is vibrating the speedo needle. Any ideas why? We are a little concerned

Sounds like you may have frozen your battery over the winter. Likely cracked cells.
Buy a new battery. Good luck.

Assuming the charger leads are connected properly, there shouldn't be any noises if the ignition switch is off. It's risky business jumping from a car because of the power in the car battery. Always charge a battery at a slow rate on low power, preferable 2 amps. Some cases of jumping a battery from a car to a bike with a radio ended up in a blown radio. I prefer to slow charge a battery as opposed to jumping it .

If you hear this noise with the charger hooked up and all is ok as far as hook up, disconnect the negative battery cable and let the charge continue until fully charged.

A discharged battery will freeze and ruin the battery if you leave it in freezing temps while in a discharged state because as the battery is discharged the acid is basically turned back into water . A charged battery will not freeze in the same conditions .

Thanks for the quick input, we are going to leave the battery tender on over night and see what happens.

After 2 Days with the battery tender on, my buddy pronounced it DEAD. He buying a new battery. $140cdn vs $40 Battery Tender, that I told him to buy 2 years ago.

After 2 Days with the battery tender on, my buddy pronounced it DEAD. He buying a new battery. $140cdn vs $40 Battery Tender, that I told him to buy 2 years ago.

Did you convince your bud to buy a tender along with the new battery!!!?

I think he got the message,NOW. Why do they always have to learn the hard way? I don't know much about bikes, but if you want to keep riding it, you better maintain it.
It's finally great riding weather in Canada.
this weekend 23*C(75*F) and his bike is DEAD:

Some are just slow learners but when it effects the wallet enough, they learn a lot faster......usually:s

No better maintenance for your battery than a tender. Financial return whitin 3 years. And saves you the hassle of being stranded on a sunny weekend.

there's a lot to be said for "old stuff" I can let my old shovel sit for months, go down in the cold garage and she cranks right up. don't need no steeeenking tender:tounge:)

Back