free website stats program Chaps | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Chaps

I wear them as does my wife (most of the time). Yes they do reduce engine heat but they also help protect from road grim and bugs splattering your pants while you ride in the event you want to look a little cleaner when you stop somewhere. They also give a little bit of time if you run into a bit of rain before you get soaked. Enough to get someplace to get rain gear on.

I've found that chaps vary in size quite a bit from brand to brand. I would be leary of buying them online because of this. I would go to a local leather shop and try them on first befor you let go that cash. They will stretch quite a bit too, so keep that in mind. I have a 38 waist and 32 inseam. I dont feel this is a very uncommon build, but I had a realy hard time finding chaps that fit my waist but the legs way too long. I know you can trim them but I wanted a pair that fit. I finaly found some real heavy leather, heavy duty zippers but took a while. It gives you something to do to find them. Another good reason to get out on the road and check out the local shops or travel further to some not so local. ROADTRIP HA HA

I normally only wear them on the highway or on long rides; should wear them more but I don't like wearing them off the bike.

Duffer, if you are in Washington State, check out Eagle Leather (Eagle Leather Tacoma, Wa) in Tacoma. They will get you fitted right and have lots of different styles. The prices aren't bad either. Wife and I both got our chaps from them and I'm not the easiest to fit.

I'm familiar with the place. The wife and I both bought jackets and boots there and I have actually tried on some of their chaps. No complaints really but if you look real hard I don't think you can find much in the store that is made in America. Now, I'm not a fanatic about it, but if I can get MADE IN AMERICA (especially for the same price), just seems like the thing to do in this day and age.JMHO

I use mine on short trips and then use the leather pants for the long hauls. I got some that were made many years ago and are thick as heck. But, I feel that they will last to the day a pass 'em to my kid.
UglyJohn

For those looking for US made alternative...how 'bout Foxcreeks' "Leather Pants"...look like jeans, but have outside full length zippers on both legs w/ snaps at cuff ends to prevent flapping or loosening, a little pricey but their quality and guage leather is hard to beat...

Leather Overpants for Men - Fox Creek Leather

Back