free website stats program Chaps In the Rain | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Chaps In the Rain

Yes, you'll get wet! The water always seems to gather around my groin... I guess it depends on what seat you have, but I always weare pants!

Firstgear listed a short inseam on their size chart but when I called the company they siad that was not accurate. I think I am going with the Firstgear Sierra, they have the zippers on the legs, that sounds like a good feature to me and the price is right.
:guitar This guy thinks he's Tommy Emmanuel

Technically it's called wind vortex.

Non Technical the wind will whip the rain around the back of your legs. Between your legs. Basically every where.

I was in a golf pro shop a while back. A customer was looking at a pair of golf sandals. He asked the salesman "are these waterproof?" The salesman said he wasn't sure!:small3d012: I turned to the guy and said, "they're waterproof if you don't wear socks." He said thanks.

That may be the answer for your "rain chaps".:khee

A nice rain suit does not always keep you perfectly dry... last year we covered New England... rained every day in Vermont...had no choice but to keep going. Makes it tolerable but not totally dry. Rain will find a way in !

I'm going to second this idea. Nothing keeps you 100% dry short of perhaps a one piece rainsuit with hood extended up under the helmet and gaiters over the boots!

I rode for an hour and a half today with the rain liner under my First Gear "super slab pants" and a Frogg Toggs jacket over my HD textile jacket along with boots that are supposed to be waterproof and I STILL managed to get slightly wet in a couple places. Water is very persistent - especially when you're flying through it at 60 MPH!

I have the FirstGear rain suit (the "rain man" pants and jacket) and the HD boot covers.
I was bone dry in a hurricane last year on a 8 hour ride. My socks were damp but that was from perspiration. The top 2 inches of my shirt was wet because there is no real way to seal around your neck for that long, in blowing rain, unless you are in a Kokatat Dry Suit

Remember, just like a tent, you have to recoat the suit with a water repellant, as it wears off over time. Especially the seams!

Well, I might be the lone wolf here, or maybe its just the equipment I have.

I have an 2 piece HD rainsuit (pants have suspenders) with an under-helmet hood. I got caught in a rainstorm in Tulsa, Oklahoma last summer and it rained 2-3 INCHES in a matter of 20-30 minutes. We were doing around 40-45 mph and other than my face (3/4 helmet w/shield - so maybe a little of my neck) I was dry to the bone.

Maybe if I was doing 60-70 mph it might be different but this rainsuit impressed me after that storm.

Good topic. I used to have rain gear until the last rain storm. They tore apart!!! Now I need new stuff. Is there any rain gear out there that is better than the other??

I bought my rain gear at a sailing race shop. Full bibs with velcro straps at wrists and ankles, Full hood with neck velcro straps. Requires one size up helmet. Keeps me dry when I have to ride in the rain.

I just picked up some Harley Classic Cruiser Rain Pants. I know some think that Harley quality is not worth the extra money, but I think these pants are well worth it. The fact that you can unzip the pant leg all the way up and do not have to fight them on is worth it. The extra material on the inside leg is nice too.

• Waterproof nylon ripstop
• Extended heat-resistant shields on inner legs
• Elastic waist with adjustable tabs
• Stirrups and articulated knees
• Full leg two-way side zipper
• Reflective piping down legs

No more cheep melted pants and duct tape!

Back