free website stats program Changing Your Oil | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Your Oil

if you time things so the oil change coincides with when kitty fills 'er up, you can kill two birds with one stone..that dirty litter will absorb the dirty oil and make cleanup a breeze(sorry, couldnt resist)

if you time things so the oil change coincides with when kitty fills 'er up, you can kill two birds with one stone..that dirty litter will absorb the dirty oil and make cleanup a breeze(sorry, couldnt resist)

That's awesome!
WAP.gif

I use a oil drain catch basin with a screen to catch plug if dropped.

Here is an oil changing tip I stumbled upon quite by accident. In my garage, I do not have a bike lift like the shops do. I do have a bike jack, but as we all know, placing a bike on a jack for oil changes is next to impossible due to access to the plugs and the need for some altered catch basin.
After getting yelled at by my wife for the hundreth time for using tupperware containers to fit under the bike, I decided to avoid the all too familliar argument. It is hard to find a container that fits under the bike while propped upright or on the jiffy stand. (why HD calls it that, I have no idea) While at the local hardware store this spring, there was a closeout sale on all remaining winter related items. rather than get a good deal on a snowblower, I opted for the cheap plastic saucer sled. That's right, a plastic saucer sled. This is the best drain pan I have ever used. Here is why.
1. It has a flat part on the bottom that allows it to stay in place.
2. It fits easily under the bike either on the stand or blocked upright.
3. it has the capacity to hold all 3 fluids. (Case, Drive,& Trans.)
4. you can easily melt a pour lip into a spot to make it easy to drain into a container.
5. If you drop a plug into it, it is shallow enough that you don't have to go diving in hot oil to find it.
6. it is shallow enough to be able to reach the plugs with it underneath instead of trying to quickly skid a catch basin under after remoiving the plug.

In using this alien device here is the order I change the fluids in order to stay mess free.
1. place the bike on the stand and position your alien saucer under the right side of the bike.
2. remove and drain both the case and trans oil.
3. When both have stopped draining, re-install the plugs.
4. move the pan over to the other side and pull the drive chain plug.
5. When finished draining, re-install the final drive drain plug.
6. position your UFO ahead of the stand and use a sheet of aluminum foil to create a catch basin under the oil filter aimed right for the pan.
7. remove the filter and allow to drain.
8. install new filter.
9. re-fill fluids with your favorite brand.
10. rotate the spacecraft to the drain lip you melted in it and pour into suitable container for recycling.

El -done-do!

By the way, the pan cleans up great with a couple of sprays of brake cleaner and a rag just in case the kids need an extra downhill vessle.

Hope this helps!

I take a window was container and cut out one side. It will fit under the bike and I can pour the contents into empty oil containers .

F.K.

Back