free website stats program Changing the primary chain tensioner shoe...? | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing the primary chain tensioner shoe...?

Classynomad

Account Removed
Okay... I looked through the self-help section and did a forum search, but nothing on this one...

I adjusted my primary chain last week and noted that my tensioner shoe had significant wear. The clue was a higher amount of particulate visibly suspended(the "graphite" look) in the primary oil and an intermittent cold noise that sounds like a sickly cricket coming from down there briefly, until things get warm...(45k miles, 2004 EGC, PM services by the book @ interval or earlier than spec'd) so I went and bought a new shoe, gasket, oil, yada-yada...

Time is a constraint for me and I hate my cage, and it was during this conversation among friends, someone suggested to me that I could change the shoe through the adjuster door instead of pulling the primary cover. Does anyone know if this is feasible/possible? I mean, I'd rather get an eyeball on the whole set-up(tooth wear, basket condition, etc.) but in terms of rideability and service history, I feel like it's worthwhile to go the quick route unless I'm gonna be creating more work for myself than it's worth, trying to reach in there with a pinky-finger and a bent coat-hanger, or something... In other words, I have no reason to believe that I have anything remarkably beyond normal wear, so why bother with a bigger fix than I truly need to for the moment?

An additional consideration is that I'm thinking seriously about a DD6, so again, why take it all the way down right now if I'm gonna be up to my elbows in it in 6 months anyway?

Gentlemen, your opinions are sought and will be valued!

Happy Motorin'... -F-

The particulate you are seeing is more than likely from the clutch discs and not the tensioner.

Unless you have magical powers combined with being a contortionist, pull the primary cover and inspect/replace the shoe if needed. You'll probably find with your mileage that it isn't needed.

Noises from the primary can usually be traced to an improper chain adjustment .

G'mornin', Glider!!!

I hate fighting with stuff, and grew up learning to do things the "right" way. All I needed to hear was THAT.

Clutch is fine, just adjusted it and no issues whatsoever there, and again- going to a DD6 I'll sho 'nuff be puttin' all new stuff in there, anyway...

I just can't bear the psychological torment brought about by a noise, or the idea that I should be doing something about it, :)newsmile055: ) I did notice that the shoe was beginning to trench a little, and for the price of a shoe and a gasket, why not?! And on the outside chance I DO find something noteworthy in there, I'll be glad I did it... the "right" way.

Had the noise prior to adjustment, which is what prompted the inspection/adjustment, btw... It was then that I felt that the shoe was a little more worn than I'd like to see it.

Thanks for the speedy advice!

-F-

Last edited by a moderator:
While you're in there, note the postion of the shoe. If its adjusted all the way to the top you may have to replace the primary chain.

:newsmile07:Gee, Glider... I was a little surprised that I got left outside for that little colloquialism that we all use so commonly...

Anyway... The shoe was not overly worn, but it WAS cracked just aft of the retainer, on the top(chain) side. Now I know where my chirp was coming from. Got her all sewed up, everything in there looks good!

I'm gonna be takin' the word back to the one who said it could be changed through the adjuster door. I didn't even try it, but your advice to pull the cover was spot-on.

Happy Motorin'... -F-

:newsmile07:Gee, Glider... I was a little surprised that I got left outside for that little colloquialism that we all use so commonly...

Anyway... The shoe was not overly worn, but it WAS cracked just aft of the retainer, on the top(chain) side. Now I know where my chirp was coming from. Got her all sewed up, everything in there looks good!

I'm gonna be takin' the word back to the one who said it could be changed through the adjuster door. I didn't even try it, but your advice to pull the cover was spot-on.

Happy Motorin'... -F-

"little" colloquialisms lead to bigger ones and make more work for us. No more "free passes" for anyone.

If in doubt read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Glad you found it before it let loose completely.

Lol, I read it after the fact, because I just couldn't believe that the particular usage in question was of that particular significance. I learned the first time, and I really thought this one was innocuous. I'll be leavin' my ale outside from now on...

-F-

Back