free website stats program changing the fork oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

changing the fork oil

I want to get a smoother ride, right now it is really harsh and I don't know what weight oil is in there. So what weight will give me the ride I am looking for. I don't want it to be spongy or soft just smoother. Mostly ride two up.
I see ATF being used, how does that compare to fork oil?

Harley fork viscositys: Type E = 5wt, B = 10wt, SE = 15wt, SE Race = 20 wt.
My '07 Electra G. S.Manual says to use Type E. I thought my forks were a little mushy, so I used Dexron ATF, which I THINK is around 10w. Different ATF specs. are different viscositys, and I haven't done very good at googling ATF viscositys. Also different brands of fork oils are not the same, 10W in one brand may be equivalent to 15W in another.

Anyone use Drag Specialties 20w heavy fork oil, the indie shop dealer says it's good for flhtc's. What kind of ride does it give?
Was looking for Red Line 10w medium but nobody carries it. Any recommendations?
Right now the ride is really harsh and I don't know whats in there.

You can go to REDLINE on the web and look and probably order if you have your heart set on it.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Suspension Fluids

10 like you say Might be too heavy... I looked at the bottle above it saying replacing 7
(7 , I think that is what HD PUTS into the forks from factory) My dealer says Long Ago to me "They can't get the original HD uses".... ? true or false ???

signed....BUBBIE

Wonder if you could go 1/2 an
and 1/2 mix...Ask them at redline

I used BelRay 10wt. in my King and it did make some improvement in nose dive. I have since switched out to Progressive monotubes.

Back