free website stats program changing the fork oil | Harley Davidson Forums

changing the fork oil

01 rk

Is there an easier way to change the fork oil on a 2006 flhtci than disassembling the entire front end as described in the manual. I have looked through the self help section but saw nothing relating to this.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Is there an easier way to change the fork oil on a 2006 flhtci than disassembling the entire front end as described in the manual. I have looked through the self help section but saw nothing relating to this.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Harley Davidson Forums Have a look here?

I did my '07 two weeks ago. I removed the ignition switch, 2 screws and the fairing cap. This gave me access to the fork caps (1 3/8") which have no spring pressure and are easy to remove & reinstall. Just drain and refill. Note: there's not much room for the fork caps, so a large crescent wrench won't work.

Note: there's not much room for the fork caps, so a large crescent wrench won't work.

NOT Even a Metric one...:bigsmiley29:

signed....BUBBIE

ADDED:

What weight oil did you replace with? 7.5 or 10 OR 15?

Bubbie; I used ATF in the forks. I've used it in my Dyna for a long time, so thought it would be worth a try in the Electra. So far it acts about the same as the SMELLY oem fork oil.

I did my '07 two weeks ago. I removed the ignition switch, 2 screws and the fairing cap. This gave me access to the fork caps (1 3/8") which have no spring pressure and are easy to remove & reinstall. Just drain and refill. Note: there's not much room for the fork caps, so a large crescent wrench won't work.

Does your 07 have air shocks or is it same as an 06, no air?
Will the oil drain from the two plugs on the lower part of the forks,
Or do you need to use a vacuum pump?

Does your 07 have air shocks or is it same as an 06, no air?
Will the oil drain from the two plugs on the lower part of the forks,
Or do you need to use a vacuum pump?

It'll drain. you need to pump the front end a few times and it'll shoot right out. Do it easy because I do mean "shoot". Replace the drain screws too.

Forgot to ask how much oil you put back in?

Mine are not air. I removed 10.5 oz. from each side, and added the same. Book spec. is 10.8 oz., R.K. is 11.1

I replaced mine with Bel Ray 10 wt fork oil on my 09 SG. I used the crescent wrench in the bikes tool kit to get the fork caps off/on. I got about 10.5 oz out of each one and put back in the same amount. Remember when adding the oil only put in about half the amount in each one. Put the caps back on , lower the bike and pump the shocks to get the oil past the dampers. Put the bike back up on the jack then take the caps off and add the remainder in each one. If you try and add the whole 10.5 oz in each, you may overflow them and make a mess.

Back