free website stats program Changing Shifter Pegs | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Shifter Pegs

Steve Di.

I plan to change the shifter pegs on my wife's bike (Softail Deluxe).

Can anyone give me a tip on how to remove the stock rubber pegs? They seem to have been pressed onto a metal dowel, which I hope I don't have to drill out in order to remove.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Heat the end of the shift arm where the peg screws in. There's locktite on the threads and then just unscrew them. I use a benzomatic torch to do it.

Glider,

Thanks for the tip. It took all of 10 minutes to change the pegs, once I learned the correct technique.

My tip for the Deluxe is to put the heel shifter on first then the front shifter shaft. This change makes it easier to shift and gives you more room on the floor boad because the rear shaft is closer to the primary case. It won't work on all models but is great on the Deluxe.

Thanks for that input. I will try that and see if it makes the shifting easier for her. She has mentioned that she occasionally has difficulty with finding neutral and/or first gear.

She has mentioned that she occasionally has difficulty with finding neutral and/or first gear.

A few things can cause that, Primary oil level too high, in need of a clutch adjustment or a poor lube in the trans. You may want to try Spectro in the trans, it makes a noticable difference.

Back