free website stats program Changing out taillight on 05 RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing out taillight on 05 RKC

Gottatour

A friend gave me a cool Maltese Cross tail light. It is a 2-wire light. I have 2 questions.
1 Can I make it work as is or should I change the pigtail to match the existing wiring?
2 does anyone know where I can get a mounting bracket to adapt it to the fender?
Thanks

2 things to check, 1 use an ohmmeter to to determine if the wiring of the 2-wire Maltese Cross tail light (Verify #1: only 2 wire single filiament bulb, 1 wire to the filiament, other side to socket base ground or Verify 2 wire dual filiament bulb, 1 wire to each filiament, their common side go to socket base ground)? Now check your existing OEM taillight, which option does it match #1 or #2? Finally, what is the bulb type and is the current draw/wattage comparable? If the new taillight matches the OEM taillight AND the current draw/wattage comparable you should be fine.

Now the tough part, if the current/wattage is higher draw on the new lamp, it should be brighter, BUT if there is any diagnostics in the ECM-TSM-TSSM (it is a window detector , sense problem, giving a code...same goes if the current/wattage is lower on the new lamp, it may be less bright and draw, BUT still give a code. Here is a generic wiring diagram to help you...

Wiringdiag.jpg

Last edited:
Back