free website stats program Changing Hand Grips on 02 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Hand Grips on 02 Sportster

NYHarley

I just got new grips for my Sporty the other day. I have never changed grips on a Harley before and am curious if there is anything special I need to know, tips or tricks. The grips that are on there now are the stock rubber hand grips. If anyone has a how to, send it over.

That might depend on the grips you bought. The left stock grip I believe is a snug fit on the bar and could be a little tough to remove. That's just plain elbow grease to pull that left grip off. The right side is held in place by the throttle cable under the switch housing so you'll have to disassemble that. You will have to loosen the tension of the throttle cable to remove the cable boss from the throttle sleeve inside the right grip. You might not have to remove if your new grips go over the stock throttle sleeve. You will need to remove if the new grips comes with the cable throttle bosses built in. Again depends on what you bought. One last tip is on the left side, you might need to apply some liquid soap onto the bar end to be able to slide the grip onto the bar easier. The grip on this side is usually a tight fit so the soap will help you slide it on if it's a rubber base. If the new grips are a metal base, I would put some silicon glue inside the grips so it doesn't slide off bar. That's pretty much it. Not a tough job at all. Just pay attention especially on the throttle side.

The grips are HD Diamond Black, the grips have the built in cable boss, and the left grip looks like it is also under the switch housing. I will find out tomorrow what the stocks look like when I pull them off.....

Get a can of carb cleaner and place the small red straw just under the left grip and work it around. After a few squirts and some elbow grease the left grip will come off and not be destroyed.

The right grip is a whole 'nother story. I'm not sure if this is the case on '02's, but with my '07 Nightster I had to do the following:

This grip does not typically remove from the throttle assembly. You must disassemble the right grip, making sure that you do not drop the very small brass collett into the depths of the motor where you will never see it again, then simply replace the grip in the reverse order that you took everything apart.

Good luck.

Jake

Thanks for the help guys. Got my new grips on today. It was pretty easy, I just had to pull the carb to remove the throttle cable so I could have some slack. Overall it was pretty easy, and looks good.

Back