free website stats program Changing gear ratio on wide glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing gear ratio on wide glide

wideglidr

I have a 2011 Wide Glide and would like to reduce the gears on it to have a slower first gear. Is this best done through the primary or how would I go about it? Thanks!

My 2 cents.... Doing it through the primary can be a difficult job. I would change the rear wheel sprocket (pulley) and get a longer drive belt. The 6th speed light will still work but the speedo will read faster than you are really going. For that problem you can buy an electronic "black box" which allows you to tune in the correct VSS frequency and get the speedo to read correctly once again.

I have seen aftermarket crankshaft primary pulleys with fewer teeth. It eliminates the factory compensator for their own 'power absorbing' invention. That can be the kiss of death for a press fitted crankshaft like you have. I wouldn't do it.

I think Baker has the sprocket & belt available as a package.

Depends on how bad you realy want to change your gear ratios. Andrews and Baker both make gear sets for the inside of the transmission that will change ratios in all gears. They used to anyway. In the wind.

Pops

Back