free website stats program changing front fork oil 2008 flhtc | Harley Davidson Forums

changing front fork oil 2008 flhtc

mcbur1

Dealer told me that it will cost $450.00 to change front fork oil. Dealer says i have a left fork cartridge. How can I tell if I have one. I read on line that all I have to do is raise front fort off the ground remove top fork nuts remove bottom screw and drain fluid.

Dealer told me that it will cost $450.00 to change front fork oil. Dealer says i have a left fork cartridge. How can I tell if I have one. I read on line that all I have to do is raise front fort off the ground remove top fork nuts remove bottom screw and drain fluid.

You do not have the left fork cartridge; went away in 2006. Get the service manual and DIY the fluid change. Be careful removing the two fork nuts; they are sitting on a preloaded spring. It may take a while for all the oil to drain out; be sure an put the same amount back in each fork.

Not a difficult job at all. Just remove the ign. knob and the fairing cap. You can access the cap nuts from there. There was very little preload on my '07 with the wheel off the ground.

I have the 2008 service manual and it says I have to remove front forks tip forks upside down and drain fluid. A lot of labor involved if I have to remove forks. Still confused, Not sure what I have

You don't have to remove the front forks; you can get the oil out with the forks in place by pumping the slider on the tube and letting it dribble out over night. The may be a drop or two of the old oil remaining but not enough to be concerned about.

Trust me, you don't have a cartridge fork and you can DIY the project. The service manual is a great tool but if we all did what the service manual says to do, we would have more $$ invested in HD tools than in the motorcycle.:confused:

You are nuts if you are planning on 30 weight oil in the forks.o_O If using HD oil, here are your choices.
Type E - 5 wt (standard for Showa forks)
Type B - 10 wt
SE Heavy - 15 wt
SE Race - 20 wt

If considering Bel Ray, Spectro or another aftermarket brand, there are charts available that you can use to cross over. I would not use anything heavier than SE Heavy and suggest that you try Type B first. Once you get the hang of changing fluid with the forks in place, changing again won't be a major operation. ;)

So my next question is what are you trying to achieve especially after reading dolt's recommendation. Just trying to prevent a major headache....;)

Someone said that 30wt oil rides better. Will use dolt,s advise. Thank you . Cleared up some issues on my forks

Here is an exploded view of your front forks, dolt is spot on here. It is too bad HD no longer puts drain valves in the lower legs, it would make your oil change a whole lot faster, like in older models
HD08FLHR033.gif

Back