free website stats program changing from syn to regular oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

changing from syn to regular oil

Dino oil is "ground based" mineral oil developed over several million years in the earth's crust...synthetic oil is man made from R&D labs unlocking the basic "chemical makeup" formulae of dino oil less impurities and inert ingredients.

Of course dino oil can be mixed...man made synthetic oil must qualify and be certified by the same API standard most all vehicles lubricants along with most petroleum products. Synthetic ingredients to improve viscosity index, corrosion inhibitors, detergent/suspension additives are added as standard fare in dino oils already, so a mixture or compatibility problem is a non issue.

I'm a tight wade too but for the little difference between dino and synthetic it's a no brainer . Just the fact that the engine and tranny will last that mush longer is well worth it . I don't remember who above said it but did someone say to only change tranny fluid every 20k miles rather than with each oil change .

Can't imagine switching back. The metal used in todays engine is different for the metal of "day of yor" Synthetic lubricant will do a better lubricating job on todays metal. Remember what the old hippies say... "Better living thru chemistry"

Hi
I'm sold on using synthetic oil in my 2004 sportster (I think it will help the engine run cooler)- my query is slightly different - currently it has a mineral based oil - do I need to remove all the mineral (using cleaning oil) before putting the synthetic oil in?

Just a good drain and then add the oil of your choice and you're done. Any dino that may be left in the oil passages wil mix just fine with the SYN oil.

No, like stated a good quality synthetic oil is compatible with dino based oil. Drain and you will be fine. BTW what brand syn are you using just out of curiosity.

Thanks the advice guys
Reason for query was I'm a recent conversion to inch bikes (although I cut my teeth on brit bikes when ZZ Top were too young to shave). My opther bike is a GSXR1100 suzuki which is oil cooled, I tried synthetic in that (for better heat disipation)and was advised that it would be best to use a cleaning oil first but I couldn't see why (incidentally - I stopped using the full synthetic as the clutch dragged - ended up with semi-synthetic - so the discussions about what oil to use where are very helpfull)
Was thinking of using Amsoil which I can get in the UK - but recommendations would be appreciated.
All The Best

wondering if someone would help me with this Q. i have synthitic oil (HD) in all three holes in my 09 dyna, im going to put regular oil and trans and primary the HD brand, do i need to put a cleaner in or can i just drain the syn and ad the new stuff/

To answer your question without a question... you do not need to flush out the old oil, just drain it out and replace it with the oil of your choice, you will be fine.

Back