free website stats program Changing from stock mufflers | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing from stock mufflers

scrinch

I was on another post and someone said if you change either air filter or exhaust on FI Harleys you have to have them reprogramed. Is this true or are minor changes taken care of by the Fuel Injectors? My 01 Road King came with aftermarket slip on mufflers and I am not sure if it was adjusted for that or needs to be.

the newer Harley's can adjust for one or the other but not both, IMO. Does your bike have a Stage 1? It wouldn't hurt to have a dealer check it for you.

the newer Harley's can adjust for one or the other but not both, IMO. Does your bike have a Stage 1? It wouldn't hurt to have a dealer check it for you.

Everything I've read supports that statement. If your bike is running fine and you're happy with it, I wouldn't waste my time or money going to the dealer since you only have slip ons. If it's bothering you, by all means go to the dealer but they'll just adjust the FI system to return it to the stock air/fuel ratio. I'd save my money and get the TFI that's so highly recommended by many on this forum.

I am more concerned about engine longevity than stepped up performance. I will not be adding additional mods so wonder if a remap by the dealership might be cheaper and OK for me. Also do not know how much tuning I want to do if I went with a TFI.

I have had issues with knock. As a sidecar rig my engine is under much greater load than most and now wonder if it is running too lean.

Whatta u guys think

Last edited:
If you have engine knock, it's advisable to tune the engine properly for longevity. The TFI will do that without all the extra hoopla of the bigger tuners. The dealer download is still lean.

They are very easy to set up and install.

The local dealer changed my pipes when my 07 Streetbob got wrecked they installed cycleshack turnouts and it runs good I am checking the plugs they look fine and no pings or knocking

I am thinking I will go the TFI route as the "knocking"? seems to be getting worse. I was using an octane boost which seemed to help but my local indy mechanic said "no...creates extra heat in the combustion chamber??"
I thought higher octane lowered the heat due to a more complete slower burn?

As Glider says if the knocking is fairly easy to initiate you definitely want to richen mixture and TFI will do it for longevity sake. This is after you have pumped thru different brands of preimium octane gas to be sure, and noted how "easily" it can be made to knock...i.e. when riding solo or with "hack" and gear, level roads or inclines in high gear etc.

It does seem to knock more at times than others so I suppose I should check which gas stations if any create the knock more. Someone mentioned that if a service station doesn't pump much 91 the octane rating will go down just from sitting in the tank. Also in a multigrade pump that pumps 87 89 & 91 octane all the gas in the hose, pipe, and pump etc is 87 if the person prior to you pumped 87 octane. Someone told me this might be as much as i gal. These are the reasons I added an octane boost as here in the country there just isn't that much hi test going through the hoses. Any opinions on this and adding octane boost.

Yesterday it was knocking some with me riding solo under slight strain going 52-55b in 5th gear. I figure the easiest thing to do at this point is put on the stock mufflers that the previous owner gave me. Hate to do that . I like the sound of the mufflers I have on, but it might tell me if I should invest the money for the TFI .

Back