free website stats program Changing Fork Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Fork Oil

ms_kevlar

Has anyone found a quicker / easier way to change fork oil without taking the top leg bolts off?
I heard someone talking about a quick change tool that you screw into the leg drain screw. Anyone else know anything about this?

You will still need to take the caps off one more time if you decide to put on the DBI Fork Tube Caps. They have a nice 10mm hex socket that allows for easy removal without special lifts or worrying about caps flying off in your face if a spring is stuck (even though you'd have more serious issues if that happened).

Once you screw the whole unit in, you can then change your fork oil by using the 10mm hex head that reveals a smaller hole that is actually the size of most medium sized funnels.

It can turn a messy and time consuming job into a clean, effortless easy-to-do task that should be done yearly.

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to:
C01000656a.jpg

Weren't there some models without drains? If you have no drain screws then the mity-vac method is out.

Found it in the link.

Cartridge forks started in '02 on the left side of the touring models with fairings only. FLHT,
FLHTPI, Ultras, etc. Starting with the 06 bikes, the cartridge forks have been replaced with the normal oil type lower legs on both sides.

Breeze3at,
The posted link was excellent information but I did not see a picture of the device / pitcock that you attach to the leg. Should there be a picture? Also, can you buy these hand pumps from the local auto parts store?

Yes, you can buy Mity Vac pumps from any auto part stores. Some even do rental loan outs of tools, varies by location.

I made a wireless electric vacuum pump for doing brakes for my shop.

Breeze3at,
The posted link was excellent information but I did not see a picture of the device / pitcock that you attach to the leg. Should there be a picture? Also, can you buy these hand pumps from the local auto parts store?

The Mity Vac mentioned above is a good choice. There used to be photo's with the article, but the forum had disgruntled member problem, and we lost a lot of the good stuff. I will look around and see if I can find some photos that might help you. May take a while, I'm A) lazy and B) forgetful. :newsmile011:

Well, true to form I forgot.:p 67Wizard came to my rescue and sent me the photos of his fork oil change set. Thanks Wizard!!

Attachments

• fork oil 1 (640x480).jpg
    fork oil 1 (640x480).jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 29
  • fork oil 2 (640x480).jpg
    fork oil 2 (640x480).jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 27
  • fork oil 3 (512x384).jpg
    fork oil 3 (512x384).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 20
  • MityVac[1].gif
    MityVac[1].gif