free website stats program changing fork oil | Harley Davidson Forums

changing fork oil

dlao

closing in on 10k service, after asking dealer how much to do this I ordered a service manual and will work on that myself. The service list from the dealer shows changing front fork oil but the service manual shows to change at 20k. So I am just wondering if anyone wants to chime in on how often you change your fork oil.

I have been ridding and racing for many years and have only changed fork oil to change the suspension, or as a result of a failed fork seal. My bikes typically stay inside in a heated/cooled garage and are only exposed to rain when riding (like the Tomahawk fall ride, rains nearly every year!)

My 2 cents - if you are not changing the oil to change the suspension characteristics, and you do not have a failed seal - spend your time riding instead.

Jake

I have never let the fork oil go for any longer than 10K at most and once you drain the oil, you'll see why. Clean oil is much easier on the parts and seals than dirty oil is and it's certainly cheap enough to do it.

Hey Glider, I'm at 20,000 miles and per the manual, I'm attempting to change the fork oil on my 2008 FXSTC. One problem....can't budge the Phillips drain screws on the bottom of the fork. I've actually bent the Phillips head from my socket set. Any suggestions. Does it have Red Locktite on it or what ?

I had to use a large #3 philps driver with visegrips on the screw driver, and tap the end of the #3 screw driver with a Hammer as you turn counterclockwise.

If you don't have an impact drive, get one. Your tool box will thank you for it:s

Thanks to all, went to the Sears website and have the impact driver on order. Again thanks, when my next pension check comes in, I think it's time to contribute, more so as a thank you than anything else. This place is wonderful.

Back