free website stats program Changing fluids? | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing fluids?

Davidw2415

My Softail owners manual, my service manual and H./d. web site state the following fluid change intervals.
engine oil change at 5000,
primary lubricant at 10,000
Trans lubricant change at 20,000.
Why do dealers say to change all three at 5000m intervals

It's a matter of profit for the dealers. I change all three at 2500 miles:D

Overkill? sure but I love it!

Am with you Tatanka, :yes

Am also using Syn 3 for all my fluids, I think it will be safe every 5k's.

:bigsmiley14:

Andres

You would be MUCH better off using a gear lube in the trans instead of the syn 3. Your trans will thank you for it. Easier shifting and finding neutral and less gear material on the magnet at service time.

I went to my local H.D. dealer today.They are having a sale this week and everything is 20% off. I thoughtI I would go back and prebuy stuff for my 5K service. I'm planning on Amsoil in crank, formula+ in primary and Spectro in tranny. But all they have is the spectro 6 speed formula which they say can be used in 5speeds. Oppinions?

I went to my local H.D. dealer today.They are having a sale this week and everything is 20% off. I thoughtI I would go back and prebuy stuff for my 5K service. I'm planning on Amsoil in crank, formula+ in primary and Spectro in tranny. But all they have is the spectro 6 speed formula which they say can be used in 5speeds. Oppinions?

You can use that too in the 5 speeds. It's just that it has a different additive package to deal with the helical cut gears but will work fine in a 5 speed also.

Andres

You would be MUCH better off using a gear lube in the trans instead of the syn 3. Your trans will thank you for it. Easier shifting and finding neutral and less gear material on the magnet at service time.

Hello Glider

Thank you for your suggestion, I was going by the previous owners input.:)

After my post I took a look at the lubricants poll and noticed the wide variety of oil brands being use. (with the v-rod I only had to worry for one type of oil):15:

The way it looks the poll says..........

engine- Movil 1 V twin
primary-Formula + or Amsoil
tranny-Amsoil

I got some more reading to do, :bigsmiley25:the bike just got the 5k service and now it has 6,4xx mile, so I have a few mile to go.
Thanks.:majesty

Ok Glider,

The more I poke around the more info I find,:bigsmiley30:

I just read your post on using Syn 3 for tranny and why is hard to find neutral.

That explain why even when downshifting to a stop am still playing with the gear to find neutral.:wall

Got it:bigsmiley8:

From experience I can recommend the Spectro platinum for the trans very highly. I have tried them all and this product is by far the best IMO.

Others on the forum have tried it too and agree with the improvement in the trans.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

What I have found to be a winning combination is..
Mobil 1 V Twin in the engine
Formula + primary
Spectro platinum in the trans.

Back