free website stats program Changing fluids on Dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing fluids on Dyna

lowrider1963

I am on my second Dyna and have always changed my own oils and filter at regular intervals (depending on driving conditions and mileage). I also take my bike in for the schedule maintenance at the dealership (where they replace all fluids per mileage schedule). I would like to start doing more myself and had a question (possibly a dumb one) about the trany fluid. My manual calls out the drain plug for the oil is located on the side of the pan, and the transmission plug is on the bottom. Now, forgive a few stupid questions.

• Doesn't this mean both the engine and trany are sharing the same oil?
• If so, does it matter on the type of synthetic oil I use?
• Also, if they are shared, since the trany plug is lower,
when I drain my oil, isn’t some of the 'old' oil still in the case??

The engine oil tankis mounted to the front of the gearbox but is seperate from the main part of the gearbox the drain on the bottom goes straight into the gearbox so compleatley different oil compartments

Brian

If doing the service yourself why not just change all 3 oils. The additional expense far out ways the satisfaction of a bike in smooth running condition.

The engine oil tankis mounted to the front of the gearbox but is seperate from the main part of the gearbox the drain on the bottom goes straight into the gearbox so compleatley different oil compartments

Brian

Thanks fin_676. I am ordering a Service Manual and hopefully it will arrive before my next service!

good call getting the manaul well worth the price , with enough posts theres certain manuals u can download here for free urs might be one of them your there u need 150

Last edited:
I personally think that is a good idea to have at least 1 service manual for any vehicle that i have i currently have 3 for the sportster but the Haynes one is not worth having so i haven't seen it for a long time
it is also worth having a parts list for your bike as the blow up diagrams help to compliment the use of the service manual

Brian

Back