free website stats program Changing derby covers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing derby covers

My first HD was an 07 1200 sportster which I believe has the same engine as your nightster. I changed out the stock derby to the flames collection. The torx driver must be held absolutely straight when removing the screws, otherwise they can be damaged, be sure you have a good quality driver, with straight edges. The cover had a groove in it to hold the new gasket in place..well, as James says above, clean the inside of the cover with alcohol and I used just the thinnest coat of form-a-gasket on the o-ring to hold it in place, it was the square o-ring and kept falling out of the groove while I was putting the cover back on.

After you get those #27 Torx screws out, you may want to consider replacing them with allen (hex) head screws.

I keep hearing this but to date I have never stripped out a torx head bolt. The mistake some make is to confuse a #25 torx driver with a #27. It fits but it WILL strip out the #27 bolt.

Back